Windshield washer fluid jet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tsr2185

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont do what i did...

both didnt work at all, used a 1/16" drill bit and drill and cleaned them out. Now I have a 6" stream from both which is pretty useless unless driving at hwy speeds lol. Now i got to replace both nozzles....

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be necessary. Most washer nozzles have a spring loaded check ball in them to maintain prime for a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise you'd dry-swipe the wipers frequently as the hoses would empty back into the reservoir.

Richard
I think the issue is the shorter hose is the path of least resistance and thus has higher flow.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think the issue is the shorter hose is the path of least resistance and thus has higher flow.
If that is the issue, make the hoses the same length by having a hose off the pump to a tee, have two hoses from tee that are same length and then to squirters. May have to coil the closest hose from pump.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be necessary. Most washer nozzles have a spring loaded check ball in them to maintain prime for a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise you'd dry-swipe the wipers frequently as the hoses would empty back into the reservoir.

Richard
Square body trucks had a TSB to add a check valve in line by the washer tub and the later ones had them factory.I would imagine the gmt 400 probably jhust continued this trend, post/in the pump and and keeps prime in the lines

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Square body trucks had a TSB to add a check valve in line by the washer tub and the later ones had them factory.I would imagine the gmt 400 probably jhust continued this trend, post/in the pump and and keeps prime in the lines
Interesting on the retrofit check valve! All I can remember about squarebody wipers was I experienced a lot of them that refused to shut off.

I'm no fluid dynamics engineer or whatever would qualify me to think about the wiper hose length mismatch issue but when these trucks were new/newer it wasn't a problem, so I'd be more inclined to think the problem is still a clogged nozzle or hose leak. Or with everything else good, possibly a weak pump. I've replaced the pump on mine as my first attempt of cleaning the nozzles out revealed the pump was bad as it made terrible noises and barely a dribble of fluid.

It's an interesting thought though and if I can't make these nozzles behave on my '93 I might experiment with running some extra hose under there so they're the same length. The hose is cheap and surely there's room down there in the cowl for a little extra, as long as it's carefully routed so it doesn't get caught in the wiper linkage.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I have a problem with the washer jets on my '88 K1500, it's because the hose has popped off the nozzle, or has gotten so stretched-out that it doesn't seal properly on the nipple it's pushed onto.

And I've replaced several washer pumps on my various vehicles due to poor or no output. I have a suspicion that they don't take kindly to having the washer fluid freeze inside the pump.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Every time I have a problem with the washer jets on my '88 K1500, it's because the hose has popped off the nozzle, or has gotten so stretched-out that it doesn't seal properly on the nipple it's pushed onto.

And I've replaced several washer pumps on my various vehicles due to poor or no output. I have a suspicion that they don't take kindly to having the washer fluid freeze inside the pump.
Yeah they don't like being frozen at all. I add a half of a cup of 91 percent rubbing alcohol to my washer reisevor every year before it gets cold out and every time that I have to refill it in the winter. Just make sure that you run the washers long enough to get the alcohol into the small lines and out the squirters.