4l80E Low on Fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey All,

Finally got the old girl out from the backyard (sitting for about 1.5 years). Fired right up and ran great drove fine but I did noticed after about 20mins driving went to look at the Transmission fluid level and its LOW and I mean barely anything on the dip stick, which bring me to my question since I don't see the leak. Where would the most likely culprit be? I was thinking shaft seal but not sure at this point as nothing underneath is giving me a hint.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey All,

Finally got the old girl out from the backyard (sitting for about 1.5 years). Fired right up and ran great drove fine but I did noticed after about 20mins driving went to look at the Transmission fluid level and its LOW and I mean barely anything on the dip stick, which bring me to my question since I don't see the leak. Where would the most likely culprit be? I was thinking shaft seal but not sure at this point as nothing underneath is giving me a hint.
how did you go about testing it

tell me your procedure

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
how did you go about testing it

tell me your procedure
I mean I let her warm up to temp drove it around a bit then came back to check the level while truck was still on and the fluid was reading extremely low. Prompt me to get under the truck but there is no clear indicator of where the fluid had leaked out.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Wash it down, fill it proper level, and get under neath and find the leak. Try using a paper towel to locate the leak. if it does not show put it on some jack stands and run it for a few minutes in gear and recheck for leaks. 2wd Truck can only leak in a few places, out put shaft seal, front pump seal, shift shaft seal, cooler lines/cooler line connectors, tank on radiator.

Tongan310

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wash it down, fill it proper level, and get under neath and find the leak. Try using a paper towel to locate the leak. if it does not show put it on some jack stands and run it for a few minutes in gear and recheck for leaks. 2wd Truck can only leak in a few places, out put shaft seal, front pump seal, shift shaft seal, cooler lines/cooler line connectors, tank on radiator.
Sounds like a plan. Thank you!

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I mean I let her warm up to temp drove it around a bit then came back to check the level while truck was still on and the fluid was reading extremely low. Prompt me to get under the truck but there is no clear indicator of where the fluid had leaked out.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

You did NOT properly check your ATF level, check again. Here is your owners manual for the proper procedure

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A few of the builders that specialize in the 4L80 recommend remarking your dipstick to show full 1/4 inch above where the pan bolts to the case.