Low on power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slazix54

Reaction score
Gmc sierra k1500 1997 5.7
Started after I was dealing with a bunch of misfire issues, thought I jumped a tooth so I replaced timing chain and sprockets, hadnt jumped any teeth, still low on power and misfiring.

ended up checking the skp distributor i bought and the cap was shot, replaced cap and it ran good again no misfires but still low on power.

Checked fuel pressure and it was dropping off after pump turned off, decided to do fpr, when starting job noticed coolant in oil and I decided to replace lower gaskets as well since they came with the kit.

Replaced and dealt with weird high fuel trims before finding the fpr was bad out of the box. Put old one back in and still having power issues, replaced fuel pump again as well, no more large fuel bleedoffs.
Kind of at a loss, maybe fpr is still bad. Gonna recheck fuel trims and check for intake vacuum levels + upstream o2 sensors.

I'm really just not sure what could've caused low power after dealing with all the misfire problems.

Top 2 things are fpr and the torque converter being fried during the freeway driving while it was misfiring because I don't think my knock sensors work which would not allow the ecu to tell the torque converter to not try to lockup.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE??? A 96-newer Vortec engine, apparently, if you have "upstream" O2 sensors--implying that there are "downstream" sensor(s).

Misfire will murder a catalytic converter. Maybe yours has melted or broken-up inside and is now restricting the exhaust flow.

If you have detonation problems that aren't resulting in knock sensor activity retarding the ignition timing, you may have damaged pistons.

Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer wants you to know.

slazix54

Reaction score
WHAT VEHICLE??? A 96-newer Vortec engine, apparently, if you have "upstream" O2 sensors--implying that there are "downstream" sensor(s).

Misfire will murder a catalytic converter. Maybe yours has melted or broken-up inside and is now restricting the exhaust flow.

If you have detonation problems that aren't resulting in knock sensor activity retarding the ignition timing, you may have damaged pistons.

Connect a scan tool, find out what the computer wants you to know.
Thanks