Hands-on experiments since the '70s in Performance (GPM) and/or Economy (MPG)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not only are they from Texas, they are actually out of Ft. Worth! No doubt about it --
these are my peoples:
That picture is from when they were still running the 6-cylinder. Also, I've mentioned that I've seen a race team throw a can of anti-seize into a noisy diff and survive another 20 hours of racing. It was these guys, in this Monza, back when it was still a V6. I always make it a point to stop in and say "Hi" whenever we're racing together. Great guys.

Today's cabbage ain't the same as it used to be...
Now put your pay from 1979 into that calculator.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got a screenshot of that Porsche and I'm going to post it on GMSB.com...imagine it'll get some comments just because that clip is off a '77 one ton(one year only yellow/gold stripe in the side trim, to commemorate the 50th anniversary of GM).
I always thought that series of Porsche looked like a dead flounder, so I have to say the square body front clip is an improvement in the looks department!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Repainting wheels 'factory silver' with Dupli-Color HWP101 (Before and After photos)

There are those who renew the look of the wheels on their vehicle by replacing the original
wheels with a new set, either aftermarket, NOS, or professionally refinished.

And that's great if it fits into your budget. For my own '99 C2500, I actually decided to
redo my original steel wheels & painted them Indigo Blue metallic to blend into the overall look
of the vehicle. (Here)

But recently there was a discussion where the OP had just bought a used vehicle and
simply wanted to restore the original wheels to the original look. I replied with a recommendation
to use the Dupli-Color silver wheel spray can. (part #HWP101)

I realized after the fact that my recommendation had no photos to associate my claim of
goodness to reality, so I thought that here in my 'other vehicle builds' thread I'd post
a few photos of what this product has done for me.
(ie: good service in rust belt environment + a large cost avoidance = happy customer.)

NOTE: The following photos are taken of my DD, which is *not* a GMT400 machine...but
it protects my GMT400 truck from as much undesirable 'salt duty' as possible, so I feel
that this is still legit viewing for this audience. :0)

In the 1st photo I'm showing 2 of the full set of Remanufactured factory alloy wheels
that I invested in for my '02 CR-V DD vs. 1 of the original wheels with the degraded
finish (& underlying corrosion) after 20 years of service.

As is common practice here in the Northeast, I run a set of quiet 3-season summer tires, and also
run a set of traction-oriented directional winter tires between Thanksgiving & Easter. NOTE:
When I bought this used vehicle it only came with the 4 original wheels, so initially I mounted
4 snows & ran them year-round, which is obviously a compromise, between the extra noise
and wearing the snows down extra-quickly in the summer. :-(

Since this was my only vehicle at the time, I couldn't afford to have the vehicle down long enough
to get the original wheels sent out & refinished. Plan B was to look for a replacement set of remachined/refinished
factory wheels & mount a set of summer tires on them. I figured that if I kept them clean & waxed
(ie: didn't let the caustic brake dust to accumulate/degrade the finish) ...that they would easily outlast me.

So, it took ~6 weeks & dealing with 3 different companies, but between them all I finally sourced a full set
of (4) remachined/refinished wheels, average cost of ~$175 each. (price + shipping + taxes) Once I got the
summer tires mounted/balanced on these new wheels & swapped onto the DD, zero buyer's remorse!
Much quieter, better handling, and the fresh wheels help make this look like one of the cleanest 21-year-old
CR-Vs in upstate NY.

But now what to do to stop the corrosion/preserve the strength of the original wheels relegated to snow
tire/winter duty? (ie: I'm not spending another $700+ on the existing winter wheels just to place them
into severe salt service?)

Alright, now that I've set the table the rest goes pretty quick.

In the 2nd photo, I had the snow tires dismounted & carefully prepped the aluminum wheels for paint. (I use
a blast cabinet, but conventional sanding will also get you there - done it both ways. After prepping the original
surface, I then prime the wheels & sand that, repeating if necessary in order to get as smooth a finish on the
machined face as possible. (This helps to make the wheel look more original vs a quickie rattle-can repaint.)

The 2nd photo shows (1) wheel in primer vs (3) wheels in the Dupli-Color silver.

The 3rd photo shows all (4) wheels in silver only. It's hard to show in the photo, but they
still have a hint of 'I repainted them' vs 'factory finish' look? And more importantly, this finish will start to
look 'uneven' after several washing/polishing/waxing sessions, for you inevitably get into the metallic a little,
partially removing the shiny/reflective bits at the very top of the paint surface...and they start to look a little
worse for wear all too quickly after investing all the blood, sweat, and tears into prepping them. (!)

Therefore, if I'm going to spend the time to bring back a set of old wheels to a 'factory-ish' new look, I have since
learned to always protect/enhance the silver metallic with a nice, compatible clear coat. For whatever reason, the
Dupli-Color silver + a clear coat results in a true 'factory' look. (See photo #4)

Easier to see in person vs describing with the written word, but I base this on what others have said + my own
observations. More importantly, as long as I keep them clean & waxed they don't change their look, even after
several seasons. Finally, a method that delivers the kind of maintainability I can appreciate.

In photo #5 is a close up of the finished wheel. If you blow it up you can see the nice metallic finish that the
Dupli-Color delivers -- not too shabby for a rattle-can job. If you compare what the original wheel in photo #1
looks like vs an original wheel refinished in photo #5, you can see the improvement in curb appeal.

NOTE: In photo #1 you can see the rusty discoloration commonly seen on Aluminum wheels -- this is from the
brake dust rusting on top of the factory finish. And since it etches into the paint, it's nearly impossible to buff
it out. :-( Pretty unappetizing to look at, especially with the aluminum corrosion underneath from where the
factory finish has been compromised.

Total cost? Figure a spray can of primer & clear coat per wheel. Figure 5 cans of Dupli-color HWP101 for (4) 15"
wheels. (inside & out, because the inside is partially visible.) Total cost for the whole shebang (depending on your
deal-finding skills) will be between $100-$150 for a set of 4 wheels, plus whatever your time & labor is worth.

For me, I had some primer & clear coat left over from previous projects, so my total outlay was slightly less than
$100. Compared to spending ~$175 apiece to get the wheels remachined/refinished, I decided that a *slightly*
less showy solid silver metallic/clearcoat finish (for $600 less out of pocket) was the best way for me to go.

Hope this is helpful to anyone out there who wishes to improve the curb appeal of their GMT400, but aren't
in the position to throw a ton of money at the solution.

Life is Short, do what it takes to Enjoy your Ride --

Attachments

• 1) Original vs Remachined wheel side by side (sml).jpg
    1) Original vs Remachined wheel side by side (sml).jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 2) 1 primer + 3 Duplicolor wheel silver drying (sml).jpg
    2) 1 primer + 3 Duplicolor wheel silver drying (sml).jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 3) All 4 straight silver (sml).jpg
    3) All 4 straight silver (sml).jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 4) All 4 silver + clear coat (sml).jpg
    4) All 4 silver + clear coat (sml).jpg
    303 KB · Views: 38
  • 5) single wheel silver + clear final (sml).jpg
    5) single wheel silver + clear final (sml).jpg
    660.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Repainting wheels 'factory silver' with Dupli-Color HWP101 (Before and After photos)

There are those who renew the look of the wheels on their vehicle by replacing the original
wheels with a new set, either aftermarket, NOS, or professionally refinished.

And that's great if it fits into your budget. For my own '99 C2500, I actually decided to
redo my original steel wheels & painted them Indigo Blue metallic to blend into the overall look
of the vehicle. (Here)

But recently there was a discussion where the OP had just bought a used vehicle and
simply wanted to restore the original wheels to the original look. I replied with a recommendation
to use the Dupli-Color silver wheel spray can. (part #HWP101)

I realized after the fact that my recommendation had no photos to associate my claim of
goodness to reality, so I thought that here in my 'other vehicle builds' thread I'd post
a few photos of what this product has done for me.
(ie: good service in rust belt environment + a large cost avoidance = happy customer.)

NOTE: The following photos are taken of my DD, which is *not* a GMT400 machine...but
it protects my GMT400 truck from as much undesirable 'salt duty' as possible, so I feel
that this is still legit viewing for this audience. :0)

In the 1st photo I'm showing 2 of the full set of Remanufactured factory alloy wheels
that I invested in for my '02 CR-V DD vs. 1 of the original wheels with the degraded
finish (& underlying corrosion) after 20 years of service.

As is common practice here in the Northeast, I run a set of quiet 3-season summer tires, and also
run a set of traction-oriented directional winter tires between Thanksgiving & Easter. NOTE:
When I bought this used vehicle it only came with the 4 original wheels, so initially I mounted
4 snows & ran them year-round, which is obviously a compromise, between the extra noise
and wearing the snows down extra-quickly in the summer. :-(

Since this was my only vehicle at the time, I couldn't afford to have the vehicle down long enough
to get the original wheels sent out & refinished. Plan B was to look for a replacement set of remachined/refinished
factory wheels & mount a set of summer tires on them. I figured that if I kept them clean & waxed
(ie: didn't let the caustic brake dust to accumulate/degrade the finish) ...that they would easily outlast me.

So, it took ~6 weeks & dealing with 3 different companies, but between them all I finally sourced a full set
of (4) remachined/refinished wheels, average cost of ~$175 each. (price + shipping + taxes) Once I got the
summer tires mounted/balanced on these new wheels & swapped onto the DD, zero buyer's remorse!
Much quieter, better handling, and the fresh wheels help make this look like one of the cleanest 21-year-old
CR-Vs in upstate NY.

But now what to do to preserve the original wheels relegated to snow tire/winter duty? (ie: I'm not spending
another $700+ on the existing winter wheels just to place them into severe salt service?)

Alright, now that I've set the table the rest goes pretty quick.

In the 2nd photo, I had the snow tires dismounted & carefully prepped the aluminum wheels for paint. (I use
a blast cabinet, but conventional sanding will also get you there - done it both ways. After prepping the original
surface, I then prime the wheels & sand that, repeating if necessary in order to get as smooth a finish on the
machined face as possible. (This helps to make the wheel look more original vs a quickie rattle-can repaint.)

The 2nd photo shows (1) wheel in primer vs (3) wheels in the Dupli-Color silver.

The 3rd photo shows all (4) wheels in silver only. It's hard to show in the photo, but they
still have a hint of 'I repainted them' vs 'factory finish' look? And more importantly, this finish will start to
look 'uneven' after several washing/polishing/waxing sessions, for you inevitably get into the metallic a little,
partially removing the shiny bits at the very edge of the paint surface...and they start to look a little worse for
wear all too quickly after investing all the blood, sweat, and tears into them. (!)

Therefore, if I'm going to spend the time to bring back a set of old wheels to a 'factory-ish' new look, I have since
learned to always cover the silver metallic with a nice, compatible clear coat. For whatever reason, the
Dupli-Color silver + a clear coat results in a true 'factory' look. (See photo #4) Easier to see in person vs describing
with the written word, but I base this on what others have said + my own observations. More importantly,
as long as I keep them clean & waxed they don't change their look, even after several seasons. Finally, a
method that delivers the kind of maintainability I can appreciate.

In photo #5 is a close up of the finished wheel. If you blow it up you can see the nice metallic finish that the
Dupli-Color delivers -- not too shabby for a rattle-can finish. If you compare what the original wheel in photo #1
looks like vs an original wheel refinished in photo #5, you can see the improvement in curb appeal.
(NOTE: In photo #1 you can see the rusty discoloration commonly seen on Aluminum wheels -- this is from the
brake dust rusting on top of the factory finish. Pretty unappetizing to look at, especially with the aluminum corrosion
underneath from where the factory finish has been compromised.

Total cost? Figure a spray can of primer & clear coat per wheel. Figure 5 cans of Dupli-color HWP101 for (4) 15"
wheels. (inside & out, because the inside is partially visible.) Total cost for the whole shebang (depending on your
deal-finding skills) will be between $100-$150 for a set of 4 wheels, plus whatever your time & labor is worth.

For me, I had some primer & clear coat left over from previous projects, so my total outlay was slightly less than
$100. Compared to spending ~$175 apiece to get the wheels remachined/refinished, I decided that a *slightly*
less showy solid silver metallic/clearcoat finish (for $600 less out of pocket) was the best way for me to go.

Hope this is helpful to anyone out there who wishes to improve the curb appeal of their GMT400, but aren't
in the position to throw a ton of money at the solution.

Life is Short, do what it takes to Enjoy your Ride --
Those came out great!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those came out great!

Thanks for the positive feedback -- it's appreciated!

For what it's worth, I've attached a photo from the last winter of running the
original wheels with 19 years of rust belt patina. When I originally bought
the car they didn't really stand out (except for no major curb rash) ...but as
I cleaned up the rest of the vehicle they really started to draw undue attention
to themselves & detract from the overall curb appeal.

Now that they are refinished, the winter set looks very close to the summer set,
especially to the casual observer. (Don't know if you've seen this, but here's a
beauty shot of the DD set up for summer: (LINK) A nice side benefit that I really
appreciate is that getting the wheels back into new condition allows the tires to
stay inflated, as opposed to having to touch up the tire pressures every couple
of weeks -- where the need always seems to happen during inclement weather?

All this brings up a related subject. I've had people ask me how do I sequence
a rolling restoration? I answer safety & reliability first, and then when it comes
to curb appeal I look to see which eyesore catches my attention the most, and fix
that next. Once that is accomplished, take a fresh look & repeat the process until
everything blends visually & it's good enough to declare victory & quit messing
with it. :0)

And I'm pleased to report that once I sorted out the whole wheel issue, I was finally
satisfied with the way the DD represented the owner, and I went from focusing on
it to just using it with a normal ongoing maintenance schedule.

Now when I leave the supermarket with the cart, the long walk out to the 'door ding free'
zone is all pleasure...gives me more time to appreciate the clean look of my 5-speed time
machine. (And also frees up my mind for thinking about what I should do next to
the chore truck. :0)

Attachments

• Winter of '21 original wheel finish detracts from curb appeal (sml).jpg
    Winter of '21 original wheel finish detracts from curb appeal (sml).jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

62barsoom

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The gearhead opera :). I never had an issue with the two sidedraft Webers in the 2002. Stayed in tune great once balanced. But boy they sang a wonderful duet. Was never lucky enough to hear them live on anything else. I was lucky enough however to have a short ride in a 427 sideoiler clone.... goodness me but that was something to remember. Da Grump. I could watch this short video over and over. Thanks for sharing such a great compilation.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The gearhead opera :). I never had an issue with the two sidedraft Webers in the 2002. Stayed in tune great once balanced. But boy they sang a wonderful duet. Was never lucky enough to hear them live on anything else. I was lucky enough however to have a short ride in a 427 sideoiler clone.... goodness me but that was something to remember. Da Grump. I could watch this short video over and over. Thanks for sharing such a great compilation.

Puffing away at that cigar the whole time! Reminds me of this guy.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

What a video! I actually get goosebumps listening to him wind
out that 9000rpm SBC and speedshifting with authority. That's
gotta be the best 19 seconds of rowing the gears in all of YouTube. :0)

One of the reasons I always had this guy on a motorhead pedestal is that
he went into every single nook & cranny looking for a performance advantage
over his competition. Check this out -- after watching him rowing through the
gears here's a short blurb (from a '68 Car Craft article) on how he modified
his transmission to give him the ability to reliably shift like that:

You must be registered for see images attach

How cool is that?

And right around the time I was in high school I discovered
his new book titled "The Chevrolet Racing Engine", and I read
that over and over. Some stuff (like cleanliness) I got on the first
pass, but there was a lot that I didn't fully comprehend for a long time.
(Longer than I care to admit in public. :0)

But man he made me think. Pretty much single-handedly turned
me into a lifelong student of internal combustion. What a gift
he gave to a perfect stranger he never met. (!)

How to make 2hp/ci using '75-era technology
You must be registered for see images attach

I recently reread my worn copy of this book, and I was
impressed by how much information he was able to convey
using clear & concise problem descriptions, setting up the
solutions he had devised. When he talked about how
he was combating several degrees worth of spark scatter
issues because the camshaft was winding up and releasing
(front to back torsional twist) because of the super stiff
valve springs they were running? My mind was blown.

Anyway, thanks for sharing that video, which triggered
this particular trip down memory lane. And I'm glad
you enjoyed some of the tall tales of my misspent youth.

Fun stuff!

Cheers --

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm, so he buzzed off every other tooth on the slider, the syncro ring, or both? That's not outside of my wheelhouse.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright, I've discovered a place where I can concentrate all my non-GMT400
wrench-swinging nonsense in a single stream of consciousness.
Oh, Heaven help us!! lol

Buttered Toast, Grits, Scrambled Eggs, Canadian Bacon, & Coffee........I'm down for that lol