The Stupid Engine Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rodg1984

Reaction score
I've got a 95 ext. cab Silverado with the 5.7L w/ 156,*** miles. I'll get the check engine light when it's idling in park. As soon as I put it into gear the light goes off. I've done the paper clip in the ALDL and have gotten code 35. At low idle (ie: going through parking lot/drive through) it'll start sputtering and acting like it wants to die. I've checked for vacuum leaks with starting fluid and am not having any luck. The throttle body has been rebuilt and I did the tbi mods at the same time, so not sure if maybe I did something wrong during that or not.

I've got an ALDL cable and have did some logging with TunerPro RT, but I guess I don't know what I'm looking for with that. Lol

If anyone has any insight or willing to look at the logging I've got to see if anything odd seems to be going on, I'd really appreciate the help.

Mackbuster

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a service engine soon light on. What does that exactly mean? It's not check engine

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Whats the best way anyone has found to stop the oil cooler lines from leaking? I put new ones in on my new engine and a month later they were weeping
Delete then or have a hydraulic shop custom make the lines

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So how do u know if u have a bad pcv valve?

Plus I've also been getting pretty ty mileage
160 trip miles shows quarter tank then I fill up with 18 gallons any ideas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Resurrecting a 94 k2500 5.7 auto that has been sitting for years. New fuel pump, sock n filter and it was running but hard to start. During tune up the screws for the rotor cap broke off in the distributor. Dropped in a distributor out of a parts truck here is the problem.

The truck will only run well with the timing advanced 12* plus. At 4* or less it just dies. Under 12 it runs but "studders" when taking off. It starts and runs great at 12 but I'm wondering why it needs to be advanced so much. Something must be wrong somewhere? Any ideas?

burnhedge

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you unplug the timing advance?
ahh hell, good thing I posted in the stupid thread. The advance didn't even cross my mind. How do you unhook the advance on the tbi engines? I've only fooled with timing on the carbureted engines. Thanks

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
ahh hell, good thing I posted in the stupid thread. The advance didn't even cross my mind. How do you unhook the advance on the tbi engines? I've only fooled with timing on the carbureted engines. Thanks
Black cover on the firewall. Remove that and there is a round plug