The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dixiepc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now that's really cool. How about some more information on this whole light mod.

Jermu

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey,

Is there a trick to removing the map lights from the console? Are you supposed to just push 'em out, because mine did not come out gently and I didn' t want to put up a fight because I don't want to break anything? Do I just man up or is there something I need to do to free them up first? Any help and confirmation would be appreciated because I've kind of made a habit of hastening and braking stuff or just making simple things really hard

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Hey,

Is there a trick to removing the map lights from the console? Are you supposed to just push 'em out, because mine did not come out gently and I didn' t want to put up a fight because I don't want to break anything? Do I just man up or is there something I need to do to free them up first? Any help and confirmation would be appreciated because I've kind of made a habit of hastening and braking stuff or just making simple things really hard

If you're talking about removing the bulbs from the map lights, all you have to do on the front consoles is get a pin or small flat blade screwdriver and find the little indentation on the edge of the lens, pry off the lens, remove the bulb. The reflector will also come out with the bulb.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you're talking about removing the bulbs from the map lights, all you have to do on the front consoles is get a pin or small flat blade screwdriver and find the little indentation on the edge of the lens, pry off the lens, remove the bulb. The reflector will also come out with the bulb.

Don't some of them just drop free of the console if you stick a Torx bit in the center of the lens and turn? Or is that rear map lights? I swear some of them in my Suburban have an indentation in the lens for that but it's been a long time since I messed with them and it's not here right now so I can't go check it.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Don't some of them just drop free of the console if you stick a Torx bit in the center of the lens and turn? Or is that rear map lights? I swear some of them in my Suburban have an indentation in the lens for that but it's been a long time since I messed with them and it's not here right now so I can't go check it.

That's the rear map lights on the burbs. Never thought about using a torx before, I always just used my fingers, pushed up and twisted and they come right out lol

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's the rear map lights on the burbs. Never thought about using a torx before, I always just used my fingers, pushed up and twisted and they come right out lol

I knew I didn't hallucinate that. :lol: Yeah, a Torx works great for those.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yeah the spheres are the same pretty much between the two. My only gripe about them is the fact they ONLY fit standard-sized 194 bulbs. I use 5-way SMD LEDs in my fronts, and they will not fit in the rears with the removable housings. Also, the reflective coating on the rears fade out after a while.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Yeah the spheres are the same pretty much between the two. My only gripe about them is the fact they ONLY fit standard-sized 194 bulbs. I use 5-way SMD LEDs in my fronts, and they will not fit in the rears with the removable housings. Also, the reflective coating on the rears fade out after a while.

The Sylvania 194 replacement LEDs fit the map light housings with absolutely no modification required. Not the ZEVO ones, the slightly cheaper ones

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
For some reason my 98's and my 97's OHC map lights are different. My 98's lens just pry's off, whereas my 97 you have to twist the lens and the whole housing comes out.

Last edited: