The Overhead Console Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Picked up this jewel at the wrecking yard today for $20, plan is to remove the heater/air control and locate a blank plate to replace it, then install in my 92 Silverado.....I’ve read this thread several times but I’m sure I’ll have questions
I've got a blank for ya. Pm me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Aaron Poston

Reaction score

Woodi

Reaction score
When drilling the holes use a drill with a stop rod guide (don't know the proper name but it sets the depth of penetration) if you are nervous about hitting the outer skin. I bought a console and plan to install it soon. Raining today so may tackle it.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Picked up this jewel at the wrecking yard today for $20, plan is to remove the heater/air control and locate a blank plate to replace it, then install in my 92 Silverado.....I’ve read this thread several times but I’m sure I’ll have questions
Nice!

I’ve got some spare blanks-I can sell you one if you’d like.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
School me on Escalade overhead consoles, is the rare one?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
When drilling the holes use a drill with a stop rod guide (don't know the proper name but it sets the depth of penetration) if you are nervous about hitting the outer skin.

Cheapest drill depth guide out there! Lol! 1/4"- 3/8" from the tip would work.

Bryan Wochna

Reaction score
Just found this thread and wanted to thank everyone who posted in it cause ive been racking my brain how to install an ohc I snagged from a junked tahoe to put in my excab z71. Now I know, and this is some great knowledge. Now just to find a light that fits where the garage door opener panel is.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The forward door can be gently removed & an S-10 rear overhead light lens actually snaps into the opening with one tiny mod.
The width & length is perfect. The profile is exactly the same as the console's.
The male tabs on the lens align up with, but don't quite snap into the pre-existing female openings in the O/H console. Yea. Pre-existing.
It's almost as if GM designed the lens to fit.

The tabs will hold the lens in place, but it's a weak fit. Just have to bend the tabs outward, just a tiny bit. Maybe 1/32". I just warmed them up with a small butane torch. A lighter would work, too. Careful not to burn the actual lens.
I wired 2 of these in series. 48smd festoons.

IIRC, I could of fit 3 in there. But...why? That thing was b-r-r-right!
Wired to the rear overhead light with a cheap quick disconnect in-line, so if I ever had to remove the console. It worked off of the dimmer switch at the same time as the rear light.

In the rear light i put one of these in.

Lost the pix of that console & I have since sold it.
I do have another 2 or 3 around & some S-10 lenses. Have to do some digging. Don't have anymore of those 48smd bulbs though, so I can't show how it looks lit up.
I'll get a couple of pix with the lens installed in the next day or two.