TBI to aftermarket EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ian Carver

Reaction score
I want to upgrade my factory TBI on my 1993 K1500 to an aftermarket (self-learning) EFI system such as an Atomic, FAST, FiTech, etc. but have a few questions? First off, here is what I plan to do to the motor itself:

350 ci to 383 ci with upgraded rotating assembly, cam (full roller), and heads (Vortec w/ 1.6 roller rockers & upgraded springs). Dual plane intake manifold and long-tube headers.

So my questions are as follows:

Has anyone used any of these brands on a similar vehicle and what did you think of it?

How does the system integrate with the factory ECU?

What type of power were you able to achieve (I hope to have around 450-500 ft. lbs. and 400 HP to the flywheel).

Any other information you can give would be helpful.

Thanks!

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry. I'm no help on the older engine setups. But I've put several holley EFI ecu setups on LSx engines and their software is awesome.
Sniper, terminator, teminator x max, and dominator stuff.

I'd steer away from FItech. We had too many die and not want to accept changes made to the tune.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my factory TBI on my 1993 K1500 to an aftermarket (self-learning) EFI system such as an Atomic, FAST, FiTech, etc. but have a few questions? First off, here is what I plan to do to the motor itself:

350 ci to 383 ci with upgraded rotating assembly, cam (full roller), and heads (Vortec w/ 1.6 roller rockers & upgraded springs). Dual plane intake manifold and long-tube headers.

So my questions are as follows:

Has anyone used any of these brands on a similar vehicle and what did you think of it?

How does the system integrate with the factory ECU?

What type of power were you able to achieve (I hope to have around 450-500 ft. lbs. and 400 HP to the flywheel).

Any other information you can give would be helpful.

Thanks!

Stock PCM can go a long way and can even be realtime tuned with the engine running. A stock 454 TBI unit with the fuel pressure bumped up can support over 450 hp. Even if you get the engine running well with an aftermarket EFI you still need to tune the transmission which means another aftermarket controller.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to upgrade my factory TBI on my 1993 K1500 to an aftermarket (self-learning) EFI system such as an Atomic, FAST, FiTech, etc. but have a few questions?

How does the system integrate with the factory ECU?!
>>>You need to contact the manufacturers of the systems you're considering buying.<<<

Far as I know, there IS NO "integration" with the factory ECU. You throw the factory ECU in the recycle bin, and install the new aftermarket unit.

Which means "good luck" getting the aftermarket ECU to control the transmission shift solenoids and torque converter. Good luck getting the aftermarket ECU to work with the instrument cluster, the Cruise Control, ABS, and the TPMS. In 1993, maybe some of these systems aren't integrated into the computer. That would be nice.

Kiss all your trouble-code diagnosics goodbye. I don't think any of the aftermarket ECUs have diddly for diagnostics...but I could be wrong. If I'm right...kiss any hope of passing emissions testing goodbye, too.

Personally, I think what you're planning is a huge mistake. But I have to admit that buying a Communist Chinese fuel injection system to replace an OEM system has never crossed my mind, so I've done zero research.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all the things Schurkey brought up crossed my mind because i was contemplating the Holley Sniper unit that is until i got the estimate installed and running, yow, right at $3000 .
So im sticking with my tbi unless i do a complete crate motor, Just not worth it and hardly no hp gain
bobby v

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve kicked around the idea of a Holley Sniper on an L31 crate engine. Doing it myself it would be about the same cost as a custom TBI setup. It seems to me it should be a simple install with a new intake, fuel pump, and adapting the stock fuel lines to the Sniper.

Then again TBI is dirt simple and my truck runs good right now.

Derick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put a fitech system on my 92. The factory computer is still hooked up controlling the timing. My trans is a 700r4 so it's not completely computer controlled if at all.
You must be registered for see images attach
As far as what kind of hp numbers, I don't know what it makes and dont really care but I can say it runs awesome. My motor is a 355 with pro comp aluminum heads 2.02 1.60 valves comp cam part # 08-413-8

Derick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you are using a 700r4 you will also need this.....

Derick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A hole needs to be drilled in the bracket