TBI to aftermarket EFI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Derick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about your 4th gear lock up? Or do you have Manuel Trans
Not sure if its even working at the moment, but I do plan on using a lock up controller. The stock ecm will be pulled eventually.

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my Holley sniper setup, I hooked up factory harness to TPS, coolant temp and tach signal so that the stock TBI ECM can control my 4L80E, also hooked up oil press and temp sensors for the gauge cluster, tach works as well.

Wgrainy619

Reaction score
>>>You need to contact the manufacturers of the systems you're considering buying.<<<

Far as I know, there IS NO "integration" with the factory ECU. You throw the factory ECU in the recycle bin, and install the new aftermarket unit.

Which means "good luck" getting the aftermarket ECU to control the transmission shift solenoids and torque converter. Good luck getting the aftermarket ECU to work with the instrument cluster, the Cruise Control, ABS, and the TPMS. In 1993, maybe some of these systems aren't integrated into the computer. That would be nice.

Kiss all your trouble-code diagnosics goodbye. I don't think any of the aftermarket ECUs have diddly for diagnostics...but I could be wrong. If I'm right...kiss any hope of passing emissions testing goodbye, too.

Personally, I think what you're planning is a huge mistake. But I have to admit that buying a Communist Chinese fuel injection system to replace an OEM system has never crossed my mind, so I've done zero research.
Only thing communist is conforming your car mod choices to comply with smog laws.

Terminator x controls trans.

Not only do u get trouble codes but u can actually see the data for each sensor.

Intrusment cluster is easy.

Oem cruise control doesnt use same computer as fuel managememt. Completley seperate module. Another easy thing to keep.

In my opinion and expierience swapping to an easily tunable. Easily navigating software system like holley has, is the best bet.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Terminator x controls 4l60e.

Definatley better than any tbi setup.
Not really acurate at all. TBI PCM will do things terminator won't. I have run a TBI with a GM MAF sensor. Excellent driveability, swapped heads and cam and ran perfectly with zero additional tuning.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only thing communist is conforming your car mod choices to comply with smog laws.

Terminator x controls trans.

Not only do u get trouble codes but u can actually see the data for each sensor.

Intrusment cluster is easy.

Oem cruise control doesnt use same computer as fuel managememt. Completley seperate module. Another easy thing to keep.

In my opinion and expierience swapping to an easily tunable. Easily navigating software system like holley has, is the best bet.
You can easily see what is going on in a TBI ECM and change any programed value you want while the engine is running as well.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^X2 (with an emulator, right?)
Yes sir. Have had a Moates Autoprom for close to 20 years. I lost the ALDL cable and had to order a replacement. He sent me the one for the newer version. I emailed him and he basically told me it was a dinosaur. He had the correct cable kicking around and sent me one though. Craig Moates has always had excellent customer service.

The nice part about using OEM parts is replacement part availability. You can get sensors and even an ECM if needed for a TBI in the smallest of towns. When you roadtrip a vehicle, parts availability is always a huge factor. In 3-5 years that aftermarket EFi system will have been discontinued and no replacement parts available. Been down that road with several vehicles people have previously moded with aftermarket JUNK. One was a GM Ramjet crate engine with the early MEFI controller. Swapped all that junk out for Vortec 350 based 0411 using the vortec distributor and crank sensor. Second was a TPI running the old Accell ECU. I swapped it to an 0411 as well. For a TBI the stock 93-95 PCM is nearly bulletproof and can easily be tuned to run the hottest of setups. A single 2" bore TBI can easily feed 450+ HP.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 3 short pieces of wire to mod the injector current sense circuit and memcal the 93-95 TBI PCM will also easily run a MPFI system in batch fire configuration. With 8 MPFI injectors, a 4bbl manifold with PFI bungs and matching fuel rails and a 4bbl dry throttle body that uses GM sensors the sky is the limit to what the old TBI PCm will run. I have even written code for the TBI PCM to use the unused linear EGR 0-5 volt input to accept a wideband signal and used that instead of the stock narrowband for fueling correction. Full time wideband feedback. Used the original BLM tables to store fuel corrections on the fly so that the TBI PCM can self learn like the best of the aftermarket stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full time wideband feedback. Used the original BLM tables to store fuel corrections on the fly so that the TBI PCM can self learn like the best of the aftermarket stuff.
Yeah, that's one reason I went with the EBL instead. I just wish BobR will come up with an internal trans controller for it, then WHEN I trash my 700R4 AGAIN, I can easily go with a 4L80E!
:Caffeine: