Talk me into, or out of, it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
I'm about to install my 2nd set of Element 3 EHT brake pads this weekend. So far VERY happy with them.

The new Raybestos calipers on the Z28 are very nice, same with the new ones purchased for the 'burb.

Ranger550

Reaction score
I use YELP to find great auto and body shops. I don't usually use them, but the one auto shop was great and offered a 10% discount on labor for AAA and seniors. Yelp works great for other things as well. Dentists, doctors, attorneys; you name it.;)

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Take some pictures of those when you get them. If they're the Element3 series, IIRC they're supposed to have some fancy galvanized finish. I was going to go with those when I redid the brakes on my red truck but it was during the peak of the pandemic and they were backordered eternally. I ended up going with PowerStop remans, no complaints and the red powder coat matches the truck pretty well.
They are the Element3 calipers, and depending on where you look, amazon says they're zinc plated, Rock says "Surface finish closely resembles OE" ... whatever that means. :) Summit says "color: natural" ... so who knows. We'll see.

Richard

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Have any of you tried Big O Tires? I know a LOT of people have terrible experiences with them but the two locations I've been to in my area have been excellent and I always get complemented on my truck.

They were also very honest with me and warned me about the loose passenger side lower ball joint on my truck when I went there for an alignment back in May. Went home and did a tire rotation and checked myself and sure enough it was bad. Replaced the ball joints and came back for another alignment.

I had a one year alignment plan with them that recently expired when I went back. The service manager there offered me a 3 year plan for the price of a one year plan too.

Also, has anyone had any experience with Big O Tires branded tires? From what the service manager told me, the car tires are rebranded Toyo tires and the 1st gen truck tires were rebranded Cooper tires. Big O Tires recently got a new contract and now their 2nd gen truck tires are rebranded Nitto tires.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At this point I avoid any chain tire shop like the plague. Never dealt with Big O personally, but I've had negative experiences at a few other chains and IIRC one of my friends had an issue at Big O. I now take all my vehicles to an old guy who works out of a small gas station shop for alignments. He does a better job than anywhere else I've been.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I avoid any chain tire shop like the plague. Never dealt with Big O personally, but I've had negative experiences at a few other chains and IIRC one of my friends had an issue at Big O. I now take all my vehicles to an old guy who works out of a small gas station shop for alignments. He does a better job than anywhere else I've been.
What does he charge for alignment?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What does he charge for alignment?

IIRC the last time I took my red truck in to him it was right around $100.

As a bonus the gas station is within walking distance from my house, so I threw a bike in the back of the truck and rode home when I dropped it off that morning. :lol:

Boots97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with tire shops. I get it though, Big O Tires as a whole has been known for shady practices but I've gotten lucky. If only I had a small shop I could go to that had good service. My experiences with everything have been backwards compared to most.

I personally turn down any offers to replace my tires until I see them myself. I know I'll need new tires next year but I want to look around and see if I can find used tires first. I don't want to pay full retail for tires since they're nearly worthless once they've been even slightly used.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
@df2x4 the Raybestos Element3 calipers are definitely some kind of plated, I'm gonna say probably zinc. Doesn't make 'em any less made in China :( but they're brand new as opposed to rebuilds.

You must be registered for see images attach

Parts starting to arrive for the front end rebuild. Loaded UCA's and LCA's, 2 of the tie rods, calipers, pads.. still waiting on the other 2 tie rods and sleeves, idler arm and bracket, pitman arm, rotors.

You must be registered for see images attach

Why didn't I just go ahead and do this crap while I had the front end apart in the first place? Oh yeah.. Trying to save a few bucks. Now I get to pull it back apart, do the knockouts, and replace everything. With 1 less day off a week now on my new schedule.

Richard