Subwoofer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I just had to google those, wow, I was not even aware that electrostatic panel speakers existed that long ago. Pretty cool. I love learning about audio stuff that was around before my time.

Bought 'em new! So P.O.'d the ex got 'em! She's no audiophile! Kept 'em just 'cause I wanted them. Those things had played the soundtrack to my life!
I'm still single for a reason! Lol!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I totally understand the logic of the question, but let me just say when it comes to amps old is not always bad! I have a bunch of those old Lanzar OptiDrives in various sizes in storage and I wouldn't trade them for anything new with comparable power ratings. The new stuff all runs cooler and is way smaller but the sound quality of some of the older stuff just can't be beat. I run three amps in my truck and the newest one of the bunch is from 1996.

Agreed! I'd love to have an older JL sub powered by an early Alpine Amp!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bought 'em new! So P.O.'d the ex got 'em! She's no audiophile! Kept 'em just 'cause I wanted them. Those things had played the soundtrack to my life!
I'm still single for a reason! Lol!

That sucks big time. Always sorry to hear about stories like this.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ok so i just wana make sure im right if i wire 2 subs with the same amount of resistence in parrallel they will split the pover even between um? So if i have 1000 watt amp with 2 500 watt subs itd work to wire them im parrallel? Also do u have a larger alternator to run 3 amps?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much correct, like I said earlier just make sure you wire it up properly and make sure you aren't exceeding the impedance rating of your amp. If it can output 1000w mono at 2Ohms then you'd want two 500w subs with either 4Ohm single voice coils or dual 2Ohm voice coils. You can consult that Rockford Fosgate link I posted earlier to figure out how to wire them up properly for either one.

Also my alternator is aftermarket, it's an Ohio Generator. I really don't remember the amperage rating off hand, it's smaller than what I need though. It was kind of a "why not" upgrade after my stereo literally killed the factory one. As soon as funds permit I'm going to upgrade to a DC Power alt, something around 180 amps at idle. Mine keeps up alright since I upgraded to an Odyssey battery but I still get voltage drop on some really heavy bass notes. My two smaller amps are just 50x2 at 4Ohm Denons, so they don't draw much. My sub amp is a Lanzar OptiDrive 2500, bridged mono at 4Ohms, pushing two Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mount 12"s at about 550w each. Not sure what the actual amperage draw is under load but the manual I have for it recommends to fuse it for a whopping 100 amps on it's own.

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much correct, like I said earlier just make sure you wire it up properly and make sure you aren't exceeding the impedance rating of your amp. If it can output 1000w mono at 2Ohms then you'd want two 500w subs with either 4Ohm single voice coils or dual 2Ohm voice coils. You can consult that Rockford Fosgate link I posted earlier to figure out how to wire them up properly for either one.

Also my alternator is aftermarket, it's an Ohio Generator. I really don't remember the amperage rating off hand, it's smaller than what I need though. As soon as funds permit I'm going to upgrade to a DC Power alt, something around 180 amps at idle. Mine keeps up alright since I upgraded to an Odyssey battery but I still get voltage drop on some really heavy bass notes. My two smaller amps are just 50x2 at 4Ohm Denons, so they don't draw much. My sub amp is a Lanzar OptiDrive 2500, bridged mono at 4Ohms, pushing two Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mount 12"s at about 550w each. Not sure what the actual amperage draw is under load but the manual I have for it recommends to fuse it for a whopping 100 amps on it's own.

Thanks man ive just started going to school for this kind of thing and im getting the basics down so far i really appreciate the help

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem! I love helping people out with sound systems. Now if only I could find somebody to hire me to do it....

Good luck on the school too. Always thought I would've made a good electrical engineer but I hate math too much. :grd:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Use a wiring kit that's rated for more than you need. For instance, if the system says that an 8ga. is sufficient, go 4ga. Not only is that more efficient, but if you ever want to upgrade, you don't have to rewire the whole system.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Use a wiring kit that's rated for more than you need. For instance, if the system says that an 8ga. is sufficient, go 4ga. Not only is that more efficient, but if you ever want to upgrade, you don't have to rewire the whole system.

This is really good advice. I usually go ahead and install 0ga power and grounds if I'm going to do anything that involves amps. It's a hell of a lot easier to adapt a huge wire to hook up to a smaller terminal than it is to rewire from scratch.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

Ive had a few sub setups and i alwasy end up tradeing for them or geting vehicles with them in already so i bet i have 6 full wireing kits lol i should take a pic of my huge ball of wire lol