Stock Amplifier Info?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cheetahranger

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm planning to install some basic budget speakers in my 93 single cab k1500, and I can't find any info anywhere about what wattage RMS per channel the stock amplifier puts out. I understand it will be around 10 watts RMS?. Any info would be useful. I'm looking at two sets of Pioneer TS-G460, which are 30 watts RMS. I figure I won't have to be pushing the limits of those speakers for it to be loud enough for my preference, since the speakers are right next to my ears in the single cab. However I still wouldn't know if 10 watts RMS only would make it sound ****** from being underpowered. I'm trying to keep a completely stock look, hence not installing a newer head unit. Also going to be throwing in a Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 watt powered subwoofer under the seat. Any tips would be appreciated :)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You'll be fine with the stock head unit pushing those speakers IMO. IIRC the GMT400 stock radios are pretty on-par with most aftermarket units power output, which is to say around 15-25W RMS per channel. There used to be a test document on them available with specs (and they're surprisingly decent) but the link went down years ago and unfortunately I never saved it.

cheetahranger

Reaction score
You'll be fine with the stock head unit pushing those speakers IMO. IIRC the GMT400 stock radios are pretty on-par with most aftermarket units power output, which is to say around 15-25W RMS per channel. There used to be a test document on them available with specs (and they're surprisingly decent) but the link went down years ago and unfortunately I never saved it.
That's good to hear, thanks!

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
They'll work, but they won't play too loud. Reason being is their sensitivity rating, 89dB with 1 watt @ 1 meter. I'm not sure what the sensitivity rating of the stock speakers were, but you might end up with a system that plays quieter than the factory stuff did. If you like to listen to your music loud or are trying to overpower road noise, sensitivity is the most important spec when considering a speaker. The higher the better. These Polks are a bit more expensive, but are rated 1 dB higher: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB462/Polk-Audio-DB-462.html?tp=100
I've never heard 'em so I can't recommend them beyond what the spec says. I put those Infinity 4x6 plate speakers in my truck, think they're rated at 93 dB, but I believe they are more $$$. However, I'm very satisfied with their sound.

Cadillac Bob

Slammin original 4x4 Cadillac doors!
Reaction score
So would anyone here be able to tell me the specs on the Bose system wattages or just power rated even speaker specs? I’m soon to get a new head unit installed but would like a bit of more info on what the Bose is working with already lol? Thanks