Subwoofer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've got a 700 watt 2 channel amp that I'll swap you for that 4 channel one.
Had it hooked up to an 800 watt 10" DVC sub @ 2 ohms/60Hrtz., in a RCSB. It would make my rear window flex to the point, thought that the glass was gonna shatter! Could irritate the neighbors a block away!
Overkill for my needs. Don't crank it up much anymore. My dog hated it!

Last edited:

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sound systems are complicated to figure out, dont be afraid to ask a billion questions. I've always had to lol

Anyway, what I would do if I were you, is use that 4 channel amp for something else or sell it. You can run two subs of a mono amp as well, if you wire things correctly. And this would be the proper way to do it. Subs won't ever like 2 channel bridged amps quite as much as they like a mono amp, because a mono amp is made for subs, essentially (Lower frequency responses, different circuitry, etc).

I have a dual 2-ohm voice coil Rockford Fosgate P3 10" in my truck wired to 4 ohm, because I have an 1000w amp that puts out 600wRMS at 4-ohms and my sub is rated for 500wRMS.

The cool thing is about this setup, is that if I decide later on that I wanna add a second of this same sub, I can wire it to 2-ohm and then have 500wRMS going to each sub because my amp puts out 1000WRMS at 2-ohm.

You must be registered for see images

Thats how mines wired right now.

but if I wanted to change it to two subs and still provide enough power to each of them, I could change it up and wire it like this:

You must be registered for see images

A big thing about sound systems is wiring and wiring it properly. Its more than just being about power and ground, impedance is huge in this application.

And make things as tidy as you can. Loose wires is never good... as well as a safety hazard.

Last edited:

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had it hooked up to an 800 watt 10" DVC sub @ 2 ohms/60Hrtz., in a RCSB. It would make my rear window flex to the point, thought that the glass was gonna shatter! Could irritate the neighbors a block away!

What 10" sub is this that you can make that much noise with it? lol

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Volfenhag. Used to be called Koiiler. German. Comparable to the Pyle's or JL's of the 90's.
Mine has the red polypropalene center. The newer ones are blue.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I always wondered how those Volfenhags performed. Always used to see them for sale but never ran into anyone using them. Ze Germans can make some very good speakers! My home setup revolves around a set of Klipsch Heresys from 1985. Built in Arkansas but designed by a German.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Up until the wife became the ex, my home speakers were a set of Magnaplaner's. Circa; 1978! 2, panels, 60"' tall, about 24" wide & about 1" thick. Pretty in inneficient, but the Macintosh receiver/amp powered them just fine!

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just had to google those, wow, I was not even aware that electrostatic panel speakers existed that long ago. Pretty cool. I love learning about audio stuff that was around before my time.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score

What brand is it? How old? Is it 700 watts max or rms? this one is less than a month old

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I totally understand the logic of the question, but let me just say when it comes to amps old is not always bad! I have a bunch of those old Lanzar OptiDrives in various sizes in storage and I wouldn't trade them for anything new with comparable power ratings. The new stuff all runs cooler and is way smaller but the sound quality of some of the older stuff just can't be beat. I run three amps in my truck and the newest one of the bunch is from 1996.