Subwoofer question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Where about should i set these

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is that for the sub?
LPF for a sub is usually set at about 60hrz.
Bass boost is set where you'd like. May take a while to get that where you want it. Start at '0', and increase by small increments.
Gain is a glorified volume control. Set that at the middle & increase & decrease until it sounds good to you.
What sounds good to you may not sound so good to me!
It's a personal preference.
I've known guys that have spent months dialing in multi-amp systems!
Alpine used to have a CD that you played through the system that hit certain frequencies to help dial in amp settings. Some high-end installers use a computer to do this now.
But if you start out as I described, you can set the amp(s) to the way they sound best to you. The trick is to do small adjustments.
That's the way I've down this, but there are others here that probably have a better method. Or a better way to explain it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can't read what that one on the far right is, Al pretty much summed it up though. For me the goal was for everything to sound as balanced as possible so I left the bass boost off. My amps have no crossovers so I set those via the head unit, but don't be afraid to bump that LPF up enough to allow 80-100hz if you need a little more range on the low end. I wouldn't let your subs play much higher than that, though. The gain can be set by starting at the very lowest setting with your head unit's volume set around the loudest you'd usually listen to it, then bump up the gain slowly until you just barely notice distortion from the sub, then back it off until the distortion disappears. As Al mentioned test CDs can help a lot with this, they've got a ton of tones throughout the frequency range you can play to get everything EQ'd the way you like it. I like to go through the entire range of tones and set my EQ so that they all play at around the same volume to me. If you're saavy with a torrent search you can find a few of those test CDs.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Thanks guys! That helped a ton i appreciate it!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No problem! Have fun, I did my truck up years ago and I still tinker with my settings once in a while. All those knobs and switches are too tempting, can't NOT mess with them.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No problem! Have fun, I did my truck up years ago and I still tinker with my settings once in a while. All those knobs and switches are too tempting, can't NOT mess with them.

Lol! I do that too!
Here's how the 'lab-rats' set up an amp!
Search this.
"Using test tones to set amplifier gain" -Crutchfield

Sorry I can't post a link. New droid phone. Still figuring it out!

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Ok i have a new question would it make there subs hit harder if i ported the box?

Reaction score
Yes it would, but it would open a whole new can of worms. There are many things to take into consideration to get the port the right length and diameter. Ports are very complicated and I wouldn't suggest porting a box without a lot of research first. A good website with TONS of information about everything car audio is www.stevemeadedesigns.com

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes it would, but it would open a whole new can of worms. There are many things to take into consideration to get the port the right length and diameter. Ports are very complicated and I wouldn't suggest porting a box without a lot of research first. A good website with TONS of information about everything car audio is www.stevemeadedesigns.com

The first part of this post is good info. Please be careful if you do go poking around on SMD though. There's as many guys spreading misinformation over there as there are people who actually know what they're talking about. If you do decide to go with a ported box, you'll most likely have to build another one. I'm not sure how you mounted everything but if it's concealed under a seat or anything at all really there's no way it's got enough volume to support a port. You can refer to your sub's specs for recommended ported box volume. Also ports WILL degrade your sound quality at certain points in the frequency range. Kind of a trade off, loud but sloppy. Essentially you'd be "tuning" your box to be extremely loud in one very specific area of the frequency range, 30hz is a common example. If you ever want to mess around with dimensions and stuff RE audio has a good calculator. http://reaudio.com/box.php

Personally, I don't recommend porting unless you're trying to win a competition or just let everyone listen to your license plate rattle off. To each their own, though.