Steering feels light after gear box replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 95 has firm steering , wife can't steer with one finger. But the 98 suburban she can steer with one finger, way less effort. A GM dealer guy I worked with at UAL said , " soccer mom customers complaining about high effort were one of reasons to make it less effort". Which doesn't sound unreasonable.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was
The 95 has firm steering , wife can't steer with one finger. But the 98 suburban she can steer with one finger, way less effort. A GM dealer guy I worked with at UAL said , " soccer mom customers complaining about high effort were one of reasons to make it less effort". Which doesn't sound unreasonable.
Weird, everything I have owned GM prior to EVO had 1 finger steering. EVO took that away atleast at highway speeds. I drove my mom's rack and pinon equipped Titan to my sisters for Thanksgiving, 5 hour trip. I hate the "road feel" these car reviewers want to claim makes a vehicle feel vague. Give me the old 50s design, over assisted GM power steering feel any day of the week. I want a vehicle to steer like a 1968 Bonneville or Fleetwood on a long trip. That is with 1 finger to guide the vehicle down the road. I would say the OP got what he should have expected replacing the power steering components, 1 finger light responsive steering. That is the way a properly functioning GM power steering system with a recirculating ball type gear box should feel. Want less assist and more road feel and the steering wheel to feel like you are turning a large oak tree in the ground, swap the pressure regulating valve for one that delivers less pressure.

Last edited:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 96 gearbox in one of my 98s. The steering was noticeably heavier. Removal of the EVO a couple of years later didn’t change anything. It seems reasonable that the reverse would be true if a later box is put in an earlier non-EVO truck.

I couldn’t say if the internals are the same, but here are the visual differences between the two. The earlier version has an exposed snap ring…

1996-under

You must be registered for see images attach

97+

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 96 gearbox in one of my 98s. The steering was noticeably heavier. Removal of the EVO a couple of years later didn’t change anything. It seems reasonable that the reverse would be true if a later box is put in an earlier non-EVO truck.

I couldn’t say if the internals are the same, but here are the visual differences between the two. The earlier version has an exposed snap ring…

1996-under

97+

As I mentioned earlier there are also two different piston diameters. Generally the lighter GVW trucks have the smaller piston and the heavier GVW trucks have the larger piston. Mix and match the piston diameter and the assist feel will change. The valving for the pressure regulation can also be setup wrong.

97c1500ext

Reaction score
Since OP stated they replaced the pump they should be made aware there are two pumps to match the two gearboxes and mix and matching may be the issue. I have heard of people getting slightly heavier steering by pairing the 96 and older pump with the newer gearbox so I assume the reverse is also possible.

I recently installed the Edelmann gear box option from RockAuto after getting a complete junk ACDelco remanned box and am 100% satisfied. Edelmann advertises as keeping as much of their supply chain in the US as possible, its 100% new, casting and everything, and they send it with a data sheet of their own test of the box. It feels as good as if not better than the original box that i replaced which was due to it profusely leaking.

Dawalta

Reaction score
Correct. I ordered a cardone one off Rockauto for my 96 k1500. I don't know the ratio off the top of my head.
FWIW.........I replaced my original gearbox a few months ago with a Bluetop gearbox. I noticed that it steered easier than before but I like it and it has no play in it. 1993 GMC standard cab long bed. Also, the power steering g pump had been replaced a few years earlier.

dmac65

Reaction score
My 97 had EVO steering when I first bought it,it was too light feeling on the steering wheel for my wife.Put a new steering box for a 97 on and it still felt loose.Put a pump and hoses for an 88-96 on the truck as well as a gearbox for a 94 and the steering works great and feels much tighter.EVO was a good idea but way over-engineered.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More toe in will make it less darty feeling. You can get a flow restrictor from Turn One to make it take more effort. I'd recommend calling them before just ordering one.

Other way around. Toe in makes them darty,more responsive. Toe out makes them unresponsive,sluggish pigs.