Current best steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harkin

Reaction score
What is the current opinion on steering boxes? I have heard Redhead has gone down in quality the past few years, but its better than Bluetop... What is currently the best brand to buy? My steering box is leaking so I'm looking to possibly bulletproof my whole system if it has to be replaced anyways. Thanks for the info in advance
-Harkin

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check these guys out. Expensive? Yes, but not when you consider all the work to remove, install one and then having to repeat.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Check these guys out. Expensive? Yes, but not when you consider all the work to remove, install one and then having to repeat.
J F C

$999, $2499, or $2699. Which one did you get? ;)

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What is the current opinion on steering boxes? I have heard Redhead has gone down in quality the past few years, but its better than Bluetop... What is currently the best brand to buy? My steering box is leaking so I'm looking to possibly bulletproof my whole system if it has to be replaced anyways. Thanks for the info in advance
-Harkin
I haven't bought a new gearbox for any GMT400 yet, but I've heard Lares mentioned several times as a trustworthy manufacturer. When I check application for my 1993 C3500 dually the choices in the "new" category are:

SKP for $260, 12 month warranty
Lares for $352, limited lifetime warranty (or 12 month in commercial use)
Edelmann for $401, "100 years / 1,000,000 miles" warranty

It sounds like Lares and Edelmann are pretty confident and proud of their products; they deserve consideration IMO.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My original is still mint, but if I did, I’d definitely consider them. What’s a Redhead cost?
You must be registered for see images attach
I haven't priced Redhead or Bluetop, no idea what they cost. Expensive boutique-type rebuilds don't appeal to me.

For Turn One's "starting at $400" price which according to their site is limited to simply cleaning it and replacing seals, there are bound to be worn hard parts that will increase the price. It's an assumption on my part but an easy one to make by reading what they've stated.

At that price I'd rather spend $400 on the brand new Edelmann with no old parts used, all brand new components, and all possible improvements.

Like I said I haven't bought a new gearbox yet, but if/when the time comes I'm pretty sure I know where my money will be spent. Lares (new, not their rebuild) or Edelmann.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lares (new, not their rebuild) or Edelmann.
I guess for me, when and if the time comes, I’d rather kick a bit more in to keep a Saginaw. Lares and Edelmann are both manufactured in China. Sure, they’ll keep feeding you a new one(for a 100 years), but that might get old. Maybe I’ll never have to buy one.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I guess for me, when and if the time comes, I’d rather kick a bit more in to keep a Saginaw. Lares and Edelmann are both manufactured in China. Sure, they’ll keep feeding you a new one(for a 100 years), but that might get old. Maybe I’ll never have to buy one.
I wouldn't doubt they are Chinese as most new parts are these days, but are you sure?

"With our state-of-the-art 320,000 sq. ft. manufacturing and distribution facilities headquartered in Dixon, IL, over 91% of the Plews & Edelmann supply chain is in North America. This gives us the ability to deliver power steering products with a fill rate of over 95% over the past two years. If you have been asking for suppliers to rethink their supply chains away from Asia and abroad, look no further than Plews & Edelmann."

I can't find a site yet that claims specifically where that particular box is made, so if you've got some info...

Richard

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my 92C 1500,

Redhead is $316 + $150 core charge
If you want the quick turn model (2.5 turns lock to lock), it's $411+ $150
One year, unlimited mileage warranty

Bluetop is $300 + $150 core
One year, unlimited mileage warranty