Is a Quick Ratio Box Right For Me?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlindsey19

Reaction score
The Borgeson box mentioned earlier in the thread is the same as the GMT800 box I have, but with the older style splined shaft so it's a direct swap. The GMT800 Delphi box is 12.7:1. Just don't flail the wheel like an idiot and it works fine, I am lifted and have oversized tires.

You must be registered for see images attach
But then I can't go drift in the snow like an idiot! I guess I'll probably get the Borgeson one. Rockauto has always been dicey imo when it comes to buying stuff from them and I try to avoid them if it's possible. What size tires and lift are you running?

dlindsey19

Reaction score
Possibly... however there are four current offerings for a new steering gear on Rock (at least when looked up for my '93 C3500) with LARES and EDELMANN priced in the middle of the group.

LARES at $328 has a "limited lifetime" OR "Commercial vehicles - 12 month" warranty

EDELMANN at $380 is "100 years, 1,000,000 miles" warranty with no exceptions based on application. The Edelmann costs a bit more, but it seems they have more confidence in their product?

SKP at $257 has only a 12 month warranty

BBB at $399 only has a 3 year / 36K mile warranty

I think I'd throw my extra bucks at the EDELMANN just based on warranty alone.

Agreed but I'd go new, not rebuilt. The parts house rebuilts on this stuff seem like a big gamble.

Richard
I'd figure out how to rebuild it myself before I trust another reman or rebuilt part. When I worked at autozone my manager would always get pissed off when I'd say rebuilt and not re-manufactured. Got a lot of people to buy 100% new parts that way. Personally I think the quality of reman stuff went down after Covid. I put a cheap reman alt on my 94 c1500 in 2019 and it lasted a long time. Then I had to warranty it out and went through 6 in about 2 years. Never again.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Given a choice, I'd rather have rebuilt/reman than "new" since virtually all the "new" stuff is cheap Chinese crap. "New" alternators, starters, water pumps--all the common stuff and now some of the less-common stuff is knocked-off in bottom-feeder countries particularly China, and we pay the price.

At least the reman parts used to meet OEM specs at one point. The housings and casings are likely to actually fit.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
But then I can't go drift in the snow like an idiot! I guess I'll probably get the Borgeson one. Rockauto has always been dicey imo when it comes to buying stuff from them and I try to avoid them if it's possible. What size tires and lift are you running?
Nothing crazy, just a 4" shackle flip and a bit of crank in the front. Tires are 285/70/17.

dlindsey19

Reaction score
Nothing crazy, just a 4" shackle flip and a bit of crank in the front. Tires are 285/70/17.
Pretty close to what I got. Mine is stock in the back with cranked keys in the front. I didn't crank them all the way but enough for a gangster lean I guess. Not much, maybe 2.5" if that. I'll go for it. If I rollover I'll blame the GMT400 group. Thanks guys!

Wwdiii

Reaction score
I’ve been round the block on steering box’s and front end parts on my 97 2dr. It’s better but not what it should be.

I’ve fought loose steering on this truck for long as I’ve had it which is 12-15 years.

For a 4x4 truck, quick ratio is not a good fit from what the steering box companies tell me.

If I had it to do all over again I’d double and triple check every moving front end part before I installed a steering box. Including control arm bushings and sway bar bushing. Once I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt I’d buy a brand new steering box. Not sure which brand but best I could get. I won’t buy a rebuilt box custom or not. I’ve been down that road.

I’ve tried 3 different steering boxes. Lares which I sent back. An AGM box, company in Ft Worth that went out of business and a Red Top. I bought the Red Top to replace the AGM which I thought was bad. With the Red Top I couldn’t even drive down the freeway. Sent it back and they gave me my money back. We put the AGM back on. It’s still not right, just a tick of play at freeway speeds.

I’ve replaced every steering part on the truck as far as I know. I an no expert in the least. I’m of the opinion just because a box doesn’t have play on the bench or on the truck may not mean the box is good. Once they power steering pump kicks in I’m of the opinion that’s were the rubber meets the road. The Red Top box had no play but driving down the road it was all over the place. That’s why the AGM box with maybe 5k miles on it went back on.

I’ve racked my brain trying to get my trucks steering better. It may be as good as it gets with 4 inch lift and 33’s. I still think part of the problem is my steering box. Last shop that removed the Red Top Box and put my AGM box back on adjusted the pre load about as tight as you can and get away with it. But this shop only does front end work and know their stuff and alignment.

The other thing I’ve thought of is my truck has the steering pump bypass, got rid of steering sensor. I wonder if that bypass doesn’t put to much boost on the steering box, just a thought. Once I get my truck back together, have the interior out and about to hit the paint shop too. I’ll get back on this steering issue.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last shop that removed the Red Top Box and put my AGM box back on adjusted the pre load about as tight as you can and get away with it.
That likely caused more harm than good. Watch the video I previously posted.
This:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Wildblue19

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just put the fast ratio Redhead (they call it quick worm) in my 93 burb tonight. Replaced a old Redhead with 60k on it that was leaking and had play which i wasn't pleased with. Also added an oem cooler and lines and magnefine filter plus fluid flush.

Steering effort is about the same, but the fast ratio is definitely noticeable. Just took it around the block, I'll make my mind up on if I like it after some miles