Steering box ratio suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Resealing the factory box and resetting the gear lash and on-center settings are pretty easy and resulted in a tight, easy steering feel when I did it last year. I need to build my write-up with all the notes and pictures I took during the process.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Resealing the factory box and resetting the gear lash and on-center settings are pretty easy and resulted in a tight, easy steering feel when I did it last year. I need to build my write-up with all the notes and pictures I took during the process.

Sounds great! Still have my original :grd:

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend pairing the new gearbox with a rag joint delete steering shaft. I got mine from cunningham machine. Not that my rag joint was bad, just didn't want problems in tbe future.
That's exactly what I'm going to do, as well on my 98 C1500.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be really handy.

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
Still haven’t installed the new Borgeson box yet. I’m going to replace the fuel pump tomorrow-another can of worms. Everything steering and suspension wise is brand new and in tolerance from the lug nuts to the gearbox. I even have the jeep shaft upgrade for a few years now. Which is why I’m certain it’s my gearbox-that and I have 350k miles on it mostly with oversized tires.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A new steering gearbox doesn't do much good on a truck that needs a fuel pump!
This is how these old trucks go, plan to fix one thing, another thing fails. I'll keep fixin though, cuz I actually can. I'm happy to replace mechanical parts versus chasing electronic gremlins on newer junk.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm happy to replace mechanical parts versus chasing electronic gremlins on newer junk.
I'm kinda embarrassed to say that,the other night when my wife and I were walking the dog, some neighbor around the corner asked if we could help jump her car. As I was walking away to get my truck, another neighbor pulled up with their rental car to help so I went back and and could not even find where to jump from the battery in the engine compartment. It was dark so I didn't see what kind of car it was but there was nothing in the trunk she said. What looked like the battery had some kind of plug in connector. In lieu of googling, I just went and got my truck. Will say it was nice having my under hood lamp shining down to see everything as opposed to fumbling around with a cell phone to see..

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm kinda embarrassed to say that,the other night when my wife and I were walking the dog, some neighbor around the corner asked if we could help jump her car. As I was walking away to get my truck, another neighbor pulled up with their rental car to help so I went back and and could not even find where to jump from the battery in the engine compartment. It was dark so I didn't see what kind of car it was but there was nothing in the trunk she said. What looked like the battery had some kind of plug in connector. In lieu of googling, I just went and got my truck. Will say it was nice having my under hood lamp shining down to see everything as opposed to fumbling around with a cell phone to see..
Under a plastic cover, out of sight and not meant to be used, there was a post that could have provided power! Needless to say, you made my day! Embarrassing? Yep! Funny? Of course!

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My neighbour used his wifes little hybrid Toyota one afternoon. The next day they had to go out and the battery was flat, he had left the lights on, so he went to jump start it and couldn't find the battery anywhere. Half an hour later he found it under the rear seat. Who would have thought to look there?