Steering box ratio suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
My first time posting-Ever! Been gleaning a lot of great knowledge, advice, tips, and ideas from you guys for awhile now, thanks. Currently I’m attempting to wrap my head around gearbox options. My pick-up is a 1991 K1500 SCSB with a standard IFS 6” lift 35x12.50 tires. I have my sights set on the borgeson #800130 with a 12:7:1 ratio, my factory ratio I believe is 15:1, is this a radical difference? Is having a little less turns, like 2 1/2 turns verse the stock 3 turns a good upgrade? Or are these options reserved for trucks with a lower center of gravity. I use my rig as a chore/grocery getter so not very much high speed cornering. I hope what I’m asking makes a little sense to someone out there. Thanks.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put the borgeson quick ratio gearbox on my truck, it is a whole different experience.
In short, steering effort is noticeably reduced, and much less input is required to navigate.
It drives kinda like a car!
Side note- on MY truck, it now takes less than 40 acres to turn around. This gearbox allows my wheels to hit the stops, where my original didn't.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is having a little less turns, like 2 1/2 turns verse the stock 3 turns a good upgrade?
from the instructions
"Total box turns will be +/- 3 with 1.5 turns from full lock to center. At the center
position the four master splines on the pitman shaft will be at 3,6,9 and 12 O’clock positions"

I'm running 285/75/16 with a 3" body lift so can't speak to the 35s but, everything including interstate driving is awesome and response is wonderful. I even avoided someone pulling right out in front of me doing 50mph and had to whip around and back in because the lane next to me had a car coming....echo CumminsFever....

Aqua-pig

Reaction score
I appreciate the info. I did a little more snooping online today, and I agree and ultimately bought the borgeson. I’ll post my opinion after install.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you get the#800130 or the #800134?

Menissalt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have the budget for it you might considering converting to rack and pinion. I went with a quick ratio redhead box and nothing's wrong with it, I just still don't like how it steers and wish I'd converted instead.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recommend pairing the new gearbox with a rag joint delete steering shaft. I got mine from cunningham machine. Not that my rag joint was bad, just didn't want problems in tbe future.
I was talking with a member here last night who had the CM shaft as I do too and he said his steering still felt wandery even with all new suspension.. Steering box hadn't been changed yet. Told him my old box was pretty loose and easily turned with my fingers once it was out. But, yeah, I think the sum of all parts, including making sure the suspension isn't lacking, makes for the sweet steering and handling.
Thought it was interesting because the rag joint seems to take the lead when loose steering is talked about...