Borgeson Steering Box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the existing box?

If this were me, I'd pull it off of the frame when the other steering parts are removed. Replace leaking seals, if any. Then perform the TWO adjustments per the service manual. Inspect the frame for cracks and rust. If the frame is OK...put the existing steering gear right back on.

Lots of steering gears get replaced when all they really need is an adjustment, and maybe some seals.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there something wrong with the existing box?

If this were me, I'd pull it off of the frame when the other steering parts are removed. Replace leaking seals, if any. Then perform the TWO adjustments per the service manual. Inspect the frame for cracks and rust. If the frame is OK...put the existing steering gear right back on.

Lots of steering gears get replaced when all they really need is an adjustment, and maybe some seals.
Shurkey,
One of these days, in your "vast" spare time, It would be great if you could post a tutorial on how you adjust your steering gears. :)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shurkey,
One of these days, in your "vast" spare time, It would be great if you could post a tutorial on how you adjust your steering gears. :)
Sections 12 and 13.
www.chevelles.com/attachments/powerstrggear-4-jpg.692112/

The full rebuild instructions are on the same site:

Which is one of three web pages authored by Jim Shea, a former Saginaw steering-gear employee.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's one of those things detailed in the factory service manual, yet most people just go for the one adjustment on top of the box because that's the easy route. If they read the manual they'll see it's a lot more involved. That one adjustment on top of the box is the wrong, wrong way to go.

Richard

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sections 12 and 13.
www.chevelles.com/attachments/powerstrggear-4-jpg.692112/

The full rebuild instructions are on the same site:

Which is one of three web pages authored by Jim Shea, a former Saginaw steering-gear employee.

There are several good youtube videos also. I just want to hear your version, because I have listened to several minor variations of the process.

Jeepwalker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

True statement! I know this is an old thread, but check the rag joint & the intermediate shaft on your truck first. And the steering column lower bearing/bushing. They are an oft-overlooked source of steering slop.

Good way to check them is to 1) Remove (or raise up from the steering box) the lower plastic steering shaft cover at the bottom of the steering shaft, then 2) Apply a vise grips on the steering box input shaft (not real tight ...just snug). 3) Tie the vise grips snug to the frame or exh manifold with string or what have you ....so the vise grips won't move. Use a 2x4 if needed. 4) Go in the truck and gently wiggle the steering wheel (engine off). If there's ANY slop, it's between the steering wheel and *before* the steering box.

These Saginaw boxes are very durable. I took my tk's steering box off to inspect and/or rebuild it. 275k miles, steering was getting sloppy. For the heck of it I loosened the top screw and checked the input shaft pre-load (in the vise). Dang if it wasn't right on the money! I could detect no wear (I've rebuilt a few steering boxes). I properly re-adjusted it and put it back on the truck. The REAL wear was a badly worn rag joint & a sloppy intermediate shaft. Fixed those and she's steers nice and tight. Immediate improvement!

Had a buddy who had over 300k miles on his suburban who replaced all his trucks joints & bushings, and upper shaft parts. Yeah, it was nice and tight steering ...like a brand new truck after that.

So yeah, these steering boxes are typically very long-lasting.