Current best steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't doubt they are Chinese as most new parts are these days, but are you sure?

"With our state-of-the-art 320,000 sq. ft. manufacturing and distribution facilities headquartered in Dixon, IL, over 91% of the Plews & Edelmann supply chain is in North America. This gives us the ability to deliver power steering products with a fill rate of over 95% over the past two years. If you have been asking for suppliers to rethink their supply chains away from Asia and abroad, look no further than Plews & Edelmann."

I can't find a site yet that claims specifically where that particular box is made, so if you've got some info...

Richard
Honestly, I can’t 100% verify that. I read a few reviews that said that, but I now see what you posted. Sad that you have to be a Private Investigator just to buy an auto part. :secret:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My steering box is leaking so I'm looking to possibly bulletproof my whole system if it has to be replaced anyways.
Have you considered poking a seal or three into that box to fix the leak, and NOT buying an entire replacement steering box?

A few seals, maybe two adjustments, bolt it back on..."good as new". One day in repairs, maybe $75 in parts--probably less.

Harkin

Reaction score
Have you considered poking a seal or three into that box to fix the leak, and NOT buying an entire replacement steering box?

A few seals, maybe two adjustments, bolt it back on..."good as new". One day in repairs, maybe $75 in parts--probably less.
I did consider that, but I have to get this done quickly as I have a fast approaching deadline of next week. I had a shop do the rear brakes (which I now have to correct myself as they feel way spongier than they should) and they confirmed my diagnosis of the leak. I also need a pitman arm and have almost no proper tools, all of which are generally disorganized. I had a road trip planned for next week to meet family but its looking like I'll have to throw together my other car and use that instead.

kolgeirr

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW to everyone, I've had no issues with Redhead boxes.

I have a Redhead in my Excursion that I installed two years ago and continues to have no issues, and I just put another Redhead in my Tahoe two weeks ago which is also entirely issue-free.

I might be proven wrong with time but I have a hunch that a large amount of the slop people complain about in these trucks after a steering box switch can be traced to the rag joint. Mine was still loose in the center of travel after the Redhead, a new Pittman arm and PS Pump went on. Switched the rag joint and it's entirely slop-free.

Given the cost difference and the amount of work required, if anyone's looking into a steering box to just tighten up the steering and doesn't have major leaks to address, do yourself a favor and throw a rag joint in it and see if that fixes it first.

Harkin

Reaction score
FWIW to everyone, I've had no issues with Redhead boxes.

I have a Redhead in my Excursion that I installed two years ago and continues to have no issues, and I just put another Redhead in my Tahoe two weeks ago which is also entirely issue-free.

I might be proven wrong with time but I have a hunch that a large amount of the slop people complain about in these trucks after a steering box switch can be traced to the rag joint. Mine was still loose in the center of travel after the Redhead, a new Pittman arm and PS Pump went on. Switched the rag joint and it's entirely slop-free.

Given the cost difference and the amount of work required, if anyone's looking into a steering box to just tighten up the steering and doesn't have major leaks to address, do yourself a favor and throw a rag joint in it and see if that fixes it first.
Pretty much just went through the rest of the steering system except the tie rods. My pitman arm visibly has about an inch of play in it and the box is leaking. Already swapped the rag joint for a borgeson universal joint unit too. Your post has been very helpful to my decision, thank you.

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
borgeson 800134.....?

Any info in retrofitting a Delphi/Silverado box into a old horse?