Anyone install a Redhead Quick Ratio box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory steering box on my 91 C1500 is closing in on 300,000 miles, and is very much due for a replacement. I’m looking at the Redhead boxes, and see that they offer a quick ratio box, which is 2.5 turns LTL or 12:1 ratio.

Has anyone here made the switch from the factory 3.5 turn/15:1 ratio box? What is your opinion on the handling? Seems like it would be a significant improvement. I’ve always disliked the 3.5 turn of the factory box.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Yes, I put a QR redhead in my K1500 over 5 years ago and I love it!. I did the steering components first, then the box then the flaming river u-joint. The box and the u-joint had by far the biggest improvements. Redhead is expensive but its a buy once and forget it investment.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I put a QR redhead in my K1500 over 5 years ago and I love it!. I did the steering components first, then the box then the flaming river u-joint. The box and the u-joint had by far the biggest improvements. Redhead is expensive but its a buy once and forget it investment.

Is your truck stock height / wheels / tires? Higher? Lower?

Agreed: Do the U-joint.

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good to hear! The truck already has everything new past the box. I’ve got a C3500 U-joint steering shaft on its way as well. The price doesn’t bother me, I’m all for high quality. I don’t like doing things twice.

Edit: It wasn’t directed at me, but this is a RCSB 2WD, currently 0/2 (may go 2/4, undecided, but likely not), 15x10 3.75bs wheels with 275/60R15 tires.