Steering feels light after gear box replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LeFrostiPine

Reaction score
About 6 months ago, I replaced the majority of my power steering system, except the gear box. However, it started leaking profusely, so I recently replaced it. Upon replacing it, my steering feels extremely light, as if there is no weight on it. Is there a way to increase steering resistance?

LeFrostiPine

Reaction score
Lol, most would want less effort. Did you replace the pump?
Yes, it was one of the first components I replaced. Originally, it felt like there was a 5 lb weight on the steering wheel at one time. I could steer with 1 finger easily, but now it feels like the wind can move the steering wheel lol

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What box did you put in? What truck? Possible you got a bunk box? Ratio?
So you mean it fells like steering if the tires are off the ground?

LeFrostiPine

Reaction score
What box did you put in? What truck? Possible you got a bunk box? Ratio?
So you mean it fells like steering if the tires are off the ground?
Correct. I ordered a cardone one off Rockauto for my 96 k1500. I don't know the ratio off the top of my head.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More toe in will make it less darty feeling. You can get a flow restrictor from Turn One to make it take more effort. I'd recommend calling them before just ordering one.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Perhaps they sent you the box with an 84 casting rather than an 83. The heavier GVW trucks use a larger bore piston. Same pressure equals more assist. Slightly more toe in will help stabilize the truck in a straight line. I drove my Van and Tahoe with the EVO unplugged for years because I hated the EVO feel at highway speeds. The sluggish power steering response and lack of assist was downright dangerous in gusty cross winds.