stalled when trying to restart starts cranking normal then acts as if timing way advanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Get it towed to a shop.... you are ignoring the advice given, while waiting for a non-existent expert on your problem. Even the people that designed the system would be hard pressed to tell you what is wrong with only your descriptions to go by.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
whatever I will let you get back to your keyboard or playing with your scanner I came looking for someone that understands the problem.if no one has any idea do not bother building your post count while not helping.as to the plug wire running if you would read it was a smooth running engine when out of the blue it stalled I do not care how many mistakes you or I make mixed plug wires is not my problem here

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
heres a question,,, all of these parts you got off of a supposed running engine,,,, DID U YOURSELF SEE THIS ENGINE RUN? DID IT RUN GREAT,? DID IT RESTART? There has to be a reason this so called " running engine" was taken out of service. its AMAZING how many running engines are out there.. guess folks just get tires of driving them, and junk them.

texas tough

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
when inside the troubleshooting stress bubble, we tend to want to dictate how things will go,, because we dont want to spend money we DEEM all used parts from a previously running engine as GOOD!,, HERES A TEST,, put all of the parts u took off the " running engine" and see if she starts???I think u moved bad parts from one engine to another engine is most likely.,

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok keep throwing the same parts at it then over and over. Your result will not be different. You asked for help but don’t seem to want to hear it and are getting upset that nobody has a crystal ball.

Good luck.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any chance it's installed a tooth off? Other than that, I've got no more ideas.

When my '97 K2500 threw the P1345, I connected a scan tool and spun the distributor until it was within 1 or 2 degrees at 1100 rpm. Maybe previous owner replaced the distributor with an aftermarket version that isn't locked in place.

I thought the 5.0/5.7 distributor and the 7.4 distributor were identical except for the "Thermal Washer" on the 7.4L dizzy. I expected the small-block distributor to turn freely.

The fixed hold-down clamp seems to be a trend now. I wonder if it is a part of a manufacturer’s attempt at a “universal” part but am unsure of what, if any, applications use it.

When my fixed-clamp replacement distributor arrived, I had to reuse the original clamp. The CMP/CKP correlation could not be correctly set otherwise.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
y
heres a question,,, all of these parts you got off of a supposed running engine,,,, DID U YOURSELF SEE THIS ENGINE RUN? DID IT RUN GREAT,? DID IT RESTART? There has to be a reason this so called " running engine" was taken out of service. its AMAZING how many running engines are out there.. guess folks just get tires of driving them, and junk them.
yes and it is still when I replace them good thought

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I posted looking for someone with knowledge as I stated.but some can not or do not read before jumping in.not looking for magic pill just someone that has an idea of what is causing what I wrote.I will keep checking in I will repeat my thoughts on towing it somewhere to scan I highly doubt it would help as in order to crank for a sustained period it needs the coil(spark)unplugged.I am sure that it would detect that and that would be that.I understand the scanner is a tool to use but you also need an operator that can decipher what it is telling them.not all that use one unless simple codes can understand what it means.I am sure someone may come along.if not I will wait till it gets warmer.you may not like my attitude but I can not tolerate ignorance.some I am sure read and having nothing to add that would help move on.as to throwing the same parts I replaced them in hopes they would be the cause no where did I say I repeatedly changed them.you may need one of you grandchildren to read to you what I have written
Ok keep throwing the same parts at it then over and over. Your result will not be different. You asked for help but don’t seem to want to hear it and are getting upset that nobody has a crystal ball.

Good luck.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The problem is what you are asking is not a common failure/symptom. Hundreds of different scenarios could be causing your problem. So not using the proper tool for the job will just keep you guessing and not moving forward. You’ve already done the common stuff and now need to be able to dig deeper. And no you don’t need to crank for an extended period for the scanner to be able to read things. Just being plugged in you can read what certain sensors are showing.
You obviously are “ignorant” in how a scantool works.

Here we can guess. Change the steering gear. Maybe that’ll help.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh I forgot.

You must be registered for see images attach

This one is for the post count that you seem to think people care about.