stalled when trying to restart starts cranking normal then acts as if timing way advanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After doing a bit of research, it appears that your ignition is different than mine. This would be my new advice. check the crank sensor for any metal buildup on it. This can throw strange data to the computer. Look for faulty wires from the sensor to the VCM. The VCM could be faulty. The crank sensor could be faulty. The ICM could be faulty. I would start with the sensor first. Without a scan tool you will have to check the obvious things first. My new information is coming from a diagram from a 97. Hope this helps. I understand frustrating issues like this. I replaced a bunch of parts all at once to make sure an old truck that i bought would be reliable. It ran like crap afterwards. One of the parts I bought was a cheap distributor from Amazon. I replaced a bunch of parts trying to figure it out. It turns out the distributor was junk. Even though it was brand new, it was garbage. I refused to believe it was bad and finally broke down and got a good one. Turns out - that was it. So my point is... I feel your pain.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already changed the NEW distributor I put in 2 months ago no change besides as I pointed out when pulling the TC it proved they were( both the rotor and timing mark on pulley )were in the right position making it impossible to be off any teeth.I appreciate you trying but it is going to take someone that knows this type setup clearly

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I changed things one at a time only way but thanks
After doing a bit of research, it appears that your ignition is different than mine. This would be my new advice. check the crank sensor for any metal buildup on it. This can throw strange data to the computer. Look for faulty wires from the sensor to the VCM. The VCM could be faulty. The crank sensor could be faulty. The ICM could be faulty. I would start with the sensor first. Without a scan tool you will have to check the obvious things first. My new information is coming from a diagram from a 97. Hope this helps. I understand frustrating issues like this. I replaced a bunch of parts all at once to make sure an old truck that i bought would be reliable. It ran like crap afterwards. One of the parts I bought was a cheap distributor from Amazon. I replaced a bunch of parts trying to figure it out. It turns out the distributor was junk. Even though it was brand new, it was garbage. I refused to believe it was bad and finally broke down and got a good one. Turns out - that was it. So my point is... I feel your pain.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
that is a good possibility but which one as it would have to move the timing only.as everything else seems to be working.(starter cranking etc)If it was a wire controlling timing I would think it would be the opposite with broken wire (lack of spark)hopefully as I said someone with more knowwledge will chime in
Ok, going back to your original post, the ICM imust be what you called a "module".

It could be you've got a wiring issue.... wire rubbed and shorted somewhere?

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry bro-- the person with the most knowledge is you. Unless we can see it... we can only guess based on the info you can give us. we are trying.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
as I said I need someone who has had this problem.I do not think seeing it would help if there was something that stands out I think I would have seen it.I am pretty sure it is in the electronics somewhere just need someone with knowledge of the system.
sorry bro-- the person with the most knowledge is you. Unless we can see it... we can only guess based on the info you can give us. we are trying.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably checked this 3 times already, but are you sure you have the firing order/plug wires correct? Very simple thing to cause major pain in the ass.

If that’s not it, and you seem to be very sure it’s none of the other parts you’ve had hands on, then you’ve done all you can without getting it on a scan tool. And I don’t mean that pos the parts stores use for free. A full blown scan tool. You NEED to see the live data stream to see what it’s trying to do at this Point.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I could run the plug wires in my sleep been doing it for over 50 years as I stated in earlier posts .even the new caps are pretty simple if you know where #1 is firing order is the same on small block.and I repeat the scan would work but as far as I know it can not simulate running engine..I realize people are trying to help but if they do not understand the system and components that could cause this problem they are not much help.well meaning as some are and if they would read before posting a lot of things that are suggested have been tried already.
Probably checked this 3 times already, but are you sure you have the firing order/plug wires correct? Very simple thing to cause major pain in the ass.

If that’s not it, and you seem to be very sure it’s none of the other parts you’ve had hands on, then you’ve done all you can without getting it on a scan tool. And I don’t mean that pos the parts stores use for free. A full blown scan tool. You NEED to see the live data stream to see what it’s trying to do at this Point.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I could run the plug wires in my sleep been doing it for over 50 years as I stated in earlier posts .even the new caps are pretty simple if you know where #1 is firing order is the same on small block.and I repeat the scan would work but as far as I know it can not simulate running engine..I realize people are trying to help but if they do not understand the system and components that could cause this problem they are not much help.well meaning as some are and if they would read before posting a lot of things that are suggested have been tried already.

I don’t care how many times you’ve run plug wires on a sbc, MISTAKES happen. I’ve done it, we’ve all done it. It’s a simple thing to check and like I said, you’ve probably already done so. So untwist your drawers a little eh. We are just trying to help.

Yes, we’ve read your posts. Suggestions have been made and you’ve done what you can do. What YOU ARENT UNDERSTANDING is that on a full scantool (not a code reader) you need to watch what the computer is trying to do while starting. You need that information to continue to diagnose this. The parts cannon clearly isn’t working. You need real-time data stream.
What is the ecm trying to do while trying to start, what information is it receiving or not receiving. This is going to tell you where you need to look.

Might not even be timing related. I’ve seen these spider injectors fail and stick wide open to the point they’ve hydrolocked the engine because somebody kept trying to start it. This is why we say at this point you need a real scan tool.