stalled when trying to restart starts cranking normal then acts as if timing way advanced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it was running it would be a little easier to drive o somewhere to scan.I should have noted the year and engine your right it is a 98 5.7. I am trying to find what is causing the engine to act as if the timing is advanced too far unplug the coil (take away spark)it cranks smoothly no dragging down as if the timing all of a sudden is advanced.this started when the engine suddenly dying no knock miss fire just died tried cranking this is when the problem arose.had it towed home and working in the driveway.what I need to know is what controls the timing that would have suddenly changed with no warning.as I stated in earlier post we have no autozone as I stated earlier I have replaced the things I know might be a problem and they were off a running engine.if you read earlier post I removed the TC cover(plastic ****)it of course broke on lip of pan I have a new one now I removed to verify the timing chain had not jumped even though I felt it had not as I lined rotor up with TDC mark on damper.in years past I had seen the ring on damper moving not the case here.snowing like hell right now and colder than a ****** heart so I need to wait until it stops to put new TC back on and allow RTV to set up.I will be checking to see if any new thoughts on problem.I do realize a scanner would help but if it is not running it would need carnac to tell me what the problem is.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok fine, no Autozone..... someone should be able to test the ICM for you.... Canadian Tire?

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced it with a good one already same result.its obvious you do not know the people there:Dif not on the screen in front of them well you know the rest.I am not sure where else to look if that is the only timing control.I am sure if a hole in piston as you mentioned earlier it would not cause my problem if anything with hole it would not have compression on that cylinder(s)been building and raced SBC for over 50 years pre computors this is above my pay grade but am stubborn.it would be easy to tow to a garage maybe but then I would be at their mercy and having to depend on their skill and ability to think outside the box.I do appreciate the comments hoping someone had run across this before.

cngodfather

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think someone else mentioned earlier, but there should be a brown wire coming from the distributor that lets the computer advance the timing. unplug that and see if things get better. Not fixed- just check to see if it is a change for the better. if it is better, it will point towards a computer problem.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ignition timing is entirely controlled by the computer, using data from the reluctor in front of the crank timing gear, and the crank sensor.

Turning the distributor DOES NOT CHANGE THE TIMING. But it does change the alignment of the cam sensor, and the alignment of the rotor-to-cap terminal.

How hard can it be to turn the distributor five or ten degrees clockwise and see if it starts? Gotta be easier than yanking the timing cover.

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
if you read my previous post you would know why I pulled the TC.as to turning the distributor if you understand this distributor you would know the NEW clamp is fixed NO turning it.

Last edited:

54vicky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already explained I replaced it in attempt to solve.but thanks P.S.we do not have them here what I need is someone that has run into this same thing before if you read my posts you will note I have changed every thing in ignition that I know about.and yes the parts were working for sure that I used.as I said I have dealt with SBCs for over 50 years just not ones where the smoke can escape:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as to turning the distributor if you understand this distributor you would know the NEW clamp is fixed NO turning it.
Any chance it's installed a tooth off? Other than that, I've got no more ideas.

When my '97 K2500 threw the P1345, I connected a scan tool and spun the distributor until it was within 1 or 2 degrees at 1100 rpm. Maybe previous owner replaced the distributor with an aftermarket version that isn't locked in place.

I thought the 5.0/5.7 distributor and the 7.4 distributor were identical except for the "Thermal Washer" on the 7.4L dizzy. I expected the small-block distributor to turn freely.

Last edited: