Slip or no slip, what's normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On RockAuto I looked up a 93 GMC 1500. They only list Dorman and GM yokes for it. That slip yoke wasn’t listed for that truck. Also, it’s not nickel plated.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
On RockAuto I looked up a 93 GMC 1500. They only list Dorman and GM yokes for it. That slip yoke wasn’t listed for that truck. Also, it’s not nickel plated.

The nickel plated yokes weren't a thing (in regular production) until the GMT-800's, that I'm aware of. I want to say 2004-ish, maybe a year or two earlier, but definitely an 800 part. Nickel will of course work on a 400, but they may not be listed that way.

EDIT: I just read that TSB, and it seems GM retroactively used the nickel to fix noises in the 400's, too. I believe it was a later fix, however. I used to make them.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The nickel plated yokes weren't a thing (in regular production) until the GMT-800's, that I'm aware of. I want to say 2004-ish, maybe a year or two earlier, but definitely an 800 part. Nickel will of course work on a 400, but they may not be listed that way.

EDIT: I just read that TSB, and it seems GM retroactively used the nickel to fix noises in the 400's, too. I believe it was a later fix, however. I used to make them.
I’m just confused what OP is doing. I didn’t see the yoke he purchased listed for his truck, he’s going back to original yoke and RockAuto does have the nickel plated yoke mentioned in the TSB.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So your keeping the old yoke?
I understood he got the wrong yoke from RockAuto... assuming he's taking the old yoke and driveshaft to the local place to see if they can match parts?

That nickel plated deal was related to the "clunk" when you are at a stop and let go of the brake. I "thought" it was actually at the center carrier slip yoke (on the 2 piece driveshaft), not the trans. slip yoke. On that issue, it's more of a bind because the splines are still loaded, than a slip issue. Agree that it was an attempt to fix the complaint on the GMT800, but the GMT400 also had this, at least the extended cab trucks...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I "thought" it was actually at the center carrier slip yoke (on the 2 piece driveshaft), not the trans. slip yoke.

Definitely the slip yoke for the transmission. The slip yokes for the center of two-piece driveshafts aren't machined on the outside (or only very roughly), and it's a spline shaft that's coated with a black plastic like coating that slides into the slip yoke.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Definetly the slip yoke for the transmission. The slip yokes for the two-piece driveshafts aren't machined on the outside, and it's a spline shaft that's coated with a black plastic like coating that slides into the slip yoke.
Um, I think in my case (99 NBS) it was the slip yoke on the center carrier. I would grease the little zerk fitting and the problem went away for like an oil change time interval. At some point the zerk wouldn't allow any more grease, so I just lived with it. My transmission yoke did not have a zerk grease fitting, so nothing was to be done there as far as I knew.

Last year I swapped the transmission (also replaced the yoke on the transmission) and replaced the u joints and center carrier bearing. The center carrier slip yoke splines did have the plastic coating, which I scrapped off completely as it was kind wearing (assumed this was the problem.) Problem did go away. Just recently I have a tiny bit came back on after 5k miles on the truck, but nothing like it was before. Perhaps I assumed the wrong part was the problem then? Maybe it's a bit of both?

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understood he got the wrong yoke from RockAuto... assuming he's taking the old yoke and driveshaft to the local place to see if they can match parts?

That nickel plated deal was related to the "clunk" when you are at a stop and let go of the brake. I "thought" it was actually at the center carrier slip yoke (on the 2 piece

driveshaft), not the trans. slip yoke. On that issue, it's more of a bind because the splines are still loaded, than a slip issue. Agree that it was an attempt to fix the complaint on the GMT800, but the GMT400 also had this, at least the extended cab trucks...
It applies to 1 piece drive shafts. The TSB actually gives the correct part number.

Mine was clunking on my 96 RCLB when I first got truck. It was a low mileage truck that wasn’t used regularly. That’s why I looked into this problem originally. It really doesn’t do it anymore although I probably should pull it, clean and grease.

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Um, I think in my case (99 NBS) it was the slip yoke on the center carrier. I would grease the little zerk fitting and the problem went away for like an oil change time interval. At some point the zerk wouldn't allow any more grease, so I just lived with it. My transmission yoke did not have a zerk grease fitting, so nothing was to be done there as far as I knew.

I was speaking of the application of the nickel plating. Your original slip yoke at the transmission was probably pre-nickel, as the 800's had been out for a couple of years before nickel was used in production.

Slip yokes on the transmsion don't have zerk fittings, as it would interfere with the ability to slip inside the tailhousing.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It applies to 1 piece drive shafts. The TSB actually gives the correct part number.

Mine was clunking on my 96 RCLB when I first got truck. It was a low mileage truck that wasn’t used regularly. That’s why I looked into this problem originally. It really doesn’t do it anymore although I probably should pull it, clean and grease.
Interesting. Is your truck a 2-piece driveshaft? I think the regular cab short bed trucks are 1-piece. Yeah, take it out and clean it. You can drill and tap for a Zerk grease fitting if it doesn't have one (on the center carrier yoke I mean.) Just go down there every oil change and grease front end suspension and yoke.

I never bothered with the Nickel plated yokes. Apparently, they only work for short bit and the problem eventually comes back reading some forums. Plus, I think they spendy, IIRC. There's lot of other things folks have done to try to fix the issue. There's one guy that inserts a ball in there...

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Is your truck a 2-piece driveshaft? I think the regular cab short bed trucks are 1-piece. Yeah, take it out and clean it. You can drill and tap for a Zerk grease fitting if it doesn't have one (on the center carrier yoke I mean.) Just go down there every oil change and grease front end suspension and yoke.

I never bothered with the Nickel plated yokes. Apparently, they only work for short bit and the problem eventually comes back reading some forums. Plus, I think they spendy, IIRC. There's lot of other things folks have done to try to fix the issue. There's one guy that inserts a ball in there...
It’s a 1 piece driveshaft. I also noticed the way you drive it can be avoided. It seemed like a quick brake to quick acceleration caused a “clunk”.