4l60e Slipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Is it any different if you manually downshift to 2nd with the column shifter?

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok if you have 4th, but no 2nd this means the band is probably ok. when in 2nd rhe 2-4 servo is supplied by 2nd gear oil. when in 4th gear the 2-4 servo is supplied by 2nd gear AND 4th gear oil. I suspected you have a seal(s) in the 2-4 servo that are damaged or bad. I would take my advice in #7. the transgo vette servo comes with new seals. i would check the pin length while you are there just to make sure it is acceptable, but upto you. i can walk you through the process to check pin length. i'm sure there are lots of videos on YouTube how how to replace the 2-4 servo while insitu.

i would definitely try this before condemning this unit to a rebuild....

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello y'all, having this problem and wondering if anyone has any advice?

So I have a 1994 K1500 with the 4l60e. 2nd gear is slipping, but it's more complicated. When upshifting going into 2nd gear it shifts without slipping, it does shift a bit slow but it still shifts with no slipping.

I can go from a dead stop floor it in first and it shifts to second fine.

However here is the issue. If I'm im third and I need to downshift to second on a hill or something to gain some acceleration it totally slips on me. Most times it will rev like it's in neutral until I let off the gas and it goes back into third, sometimes it will catch though and accelerate.

Fluid is still red, doesn't really smell burnt at all.

Anyone know what the possible culprit could be?

Thanks!
Are you sure that it's a 4L60E? I've heard about them putting TH700R4's into. If that's the case, something as simple as a TV cable adjustment may fix your problem (The trans should downshift on its own when going up on a hill. Without a properly adjusted TV cable, It probably isn't getting enough line pressure when you downshift it).

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you sure that it's a 4L60E? I've heard about them putting TH700R4's into. If that's the case, something as simple as a TV cable adjustment may fix your problem (The trans should downshift on its own when going up on a hill. Without a properly adjusted TV cable, It probably isn't getting enough line pressure when you downshift it).
no

JPVortex

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
its definitely not a 700r4. Theres no TV cable, its a 4l60e.