Rear axle slipping. I

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
On the 90 Chevy k 1500 5.7 l automatic transmission I drove about 15 MI after I replace the rear axle everything seem to be fine then I had to stop and turn around put it in reverse and it sounded like it was jumping gears put it in forward same thing the reverse again then forward then no issues put it up on jack stands and when the transmissions in park the rear wheel still turn around my question is is could that be the transmission?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the 90 Chevy k 1500 5.7 l automatic transmission I drove about 15 MI after I replace the rear axle everything seem to be fine then I had to stop and turn around put it in reverse and it sounded like it was jumping gears put it in forward same thing the reverse again then forward then no issues put it up on jack stands and when the transmissions in park the rear wheel still turn around my question is is could that be the transmission?
My best guess is that the transfer case is not fully engaged or the chain jumping.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What type of rear differential do you have? With the transmission in park, you wear able to turn the wheels , did they move in opposite directions? And did the driveshaft turn or did it not turn?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please re-read your post before clicking "Post". A little grammar and punctuation really helps us understand what you're asking.

I drove about 15 MI after I replace the rear axle
Did you pull the diff cover on the replacement axle before installation? I'll bet you have something broken inside.

Reaction score
Please re-read your post before clicking "Post". A little grammar and punctuation really helps us understand what you're asking.

Did you pull the diff cover on the replacement axle before installation? I'll bet you have something broken inside.
Yes I did and everything looks really good.no broken or chipped gears, no unusual discoloration on any gears.spider,side gears,ring and pinion.Whats got me puzzled is that for it goes through the clunk then it does okay no noise no clunking nothing shifts okay.

Reaction score
What type of rear differential do you have? With the transmission in park, you wear able to turn the wheels , did they move in opposite directions? And did the driveshaft turn or did it not turn?
Yes they moved in opposite directions and no the drive shaft wasn't turning