94 rear solid axle size question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Planned to replace a bent rear solid axle on my 94 k1500 with one from an 88 i got in a part trade. Turns out the one from the 88 is about 3 inches too short so i just wasted 30 bucks in fluid because the axle didnt fit. Mine is a 10 bolt. What trucks have the same axle size as mine to make sure it doesnt happen again.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the 88 is a 2wd. 2wd axles are narrower than 4wd axles. The best axle would probably be a 9.5" semifloating 14 bolt. I've not done the swap, but that's the advice I hear given by others.
I am referring to the actual solid axle shaft that is inside the axle tube. The 88 was a k1500 aswell i believe. Just wondering if anybody knows if they are all the same size and length throughout all the 4x4 10 bolts.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty sure there's a spline count difference on the first couple years of gmt400's too, so the '88 was not a good donor for your '94. It's been forever since it mattered to me to remember, but I'm about 99% sure that '88-'89 use a 28 spline axle, and '90-up use 30 spline.

As others have mentioned the 2WD and 4X4 use different width axles, the 4X4 is wider. No telling what was in the truck you removed the axle shaft from, if it's shorter than yours, it's possible somewhere along the line someone put a complete 2WD rear end in the truck when their original failed. 10 bolts don't last forever, many of them have been swapped since these trucks began getting old. I used to sell used 10 bolts all the time when I ran my salvage yard more than a decade ago.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Planned to replace a bent rear solid axle
I am referring to the actual solid axle shaft that is inside the axle tube.
Most folks would call that the "axle shaft", not a "solid axle".

The 88 was a k1500 aswell i believe. Just wondering if anybody knows if they are all the same size and length throughout all the 4x4 10 bolts.
All GMT400 C1500 10-bolts should be the same width, and 5-lug wheels.
All GMT400 K1500 10-bolts should be the same width, and 6-lug wheels. Spring perches are the same width, so the axle assembly will swap from one to the other, but putting the "wrong" axle under the truck will look silly, and you'll have fun getting the wheels to bolt up.

Fairly certain that the left and right axle shafts of each type are the same length.

C and K are different, as explained previously.

There was a diameter change early-on, as explained previously. The early 10-bolts had smaller-diameter shafts than the later ones.

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most folks would call that the "axle shaft", not a "solid axle".

All GMT400 C1500 10-bolts should be the same width, and 5-lug wheels.
All GMT400 K1500 10-bolts should be the same width, and 6-lug wheels. Spring perches are the same width, so the axle assembly will swap from one to the other, but putting the "wrong" axle under the truck will look silly, and you'll have fun getting the wheels to bolt up.

Fairly certain that the left and right axle shafts of each type are the same length.

C and K are different, as explained previously.

There was a diameter change early-on, as explained previously. The early 10-bolts had smaller-diameter shafts than the later ones.
The actual length of the axle shaft is different. When I swapped it was about 3 inches too short. So did they change the axle lengths early on or what? Both trucks are k1500s. Mine is a 94 while parts truck was 88-89

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the axle shaft was three inches too short.

What I question is whether that axle is original to the truck it was on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The actual length of the axle shaft is different. When I swapped it was about 3 inches too short. So did they change the axle lengths early on or what? Both trucks are k1500s. Mine is a 94 while parts truck was 88-89
Pick a different donor truck and take a tape measure with you, with the knowledge of the distance between the brake backing plates on yours, to compare to the donor. As I said earlier, rear ends get swapped out. These 10 bolts are weak and get blown up all the time. The one you pulled an axle shaft from may have had a 2WD rear end (narrower) swapped in. If it was 6 lug it may very well have been a 9.5" 14 bolt SF.. which would have been a great complete rear end to swap into yours, other than being too narrow.. We aren't there with you looking at what you removed parts from so you'll have to do some more detective work to ensure you're getting usable parts.

And again, an 88-89 (with the original rear end) is not a suitable axle shaft donor for your 94, because the axle spline count is different. Incompatible.

*BTW you can get a brand new axle shaft for just over $100. Not sure what you're paying on the used ones that don't fit.

Richard

Last edited:

Jjbiskup

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't doubt that the axle shaft was three inches too short.

What I question is whether that axle is original to the truck it was on.
do you know if the 2wd 14 bolts have the same size axles as the 4x4 10 bolt? Pretty sure they are both 6 bolt pattern axles. Also if the splines are the same.