Shorty Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive been browsing for a set, my goal is just to get something that is a reputable brand and wont rust like the shitbox stock ones. Not to concerned with performance gains. These are only 409 grade, but im not really ready to drop serious money on exhaust for a custom made 304 set, i dont think one wxist on the market for 4wd. This is what i think i will be going with

edgartwib

Reaction score
Just this week i pulled the trigger on
flowtech shorty headers and y pipe (11504) to go along with a new 3" catback Flowmaster 40 single out kit on my stock 350 tbi. (cat was previously deleted)
This is a copy of the Jegs header back exhaust kit they once sold.
It was also the cheapest, most strait forward, non chineseium US made kit I could put together. I have a buddie with a 89 rcsb with that jegs kit on and i like it.
I was able to piece it together online and jegs price matched it.
I'm not looking for huge gains just wanting my 30yo 350 to breath easier ;).

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score
That's for heat riser, the silver metallic convoluted tube, comes off manifold brings warm air into air cleaner has thermostatic valve on snorkel.
I have shorty headers ($100 off eBay, surprisingly good quality), and fabricated my own heat riser. But, my stainless steel headers don't throw off enough heat to open the thermostatic valve on my (stock) air cleaner.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Without fabricating a hollow donut around the the exhaust tube to capture as much hot air possible, try to mount riser adapt tube as close to the exhaust port as possible to capture exhaust heat at hottest point. As it just leaves port.
Good luck

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without fabricating a hollow donut around the the exhaust tube to capture as much hot air possible, try to mount riser adapt tube as close to the exhaust port as possible to capture exhaust heat at hottest point. As it just leaves port.
Good luck
that's a good point... thanks

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that's a good point... thanks
Hedman makes some kits, but easily duplicated with an off the shelf exhaust connector from any auto parts store and a small piece of scrap bar stock. The hot air stove I made, simply cut the piece of tubing at an angle and welded it to the header tube with a couple of solid tack welds. Leaving a gap for air to enter.

SuperSpore

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats a nice pic.
you would think they would come tack welded like this on the shorty headers with carb stamps, since they're intended for smog compliance...
but it's easy enough to do if the hose clamp becomes an issue. :)
Doug Thorley had the same approach on their headers. Mine was on #2 primary, facing up between 2&4 just like the OE manifold.

You must be registered for see images attach