Keep Manifolds or get shorties?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMold

Reaction score
I have a 93 k1500 with a 350, I believe my right exhaust manifold has rusted off the y pipe (unless there's a gasket between the y pipe and manifold that's completely gone) So I need to fix or replace my manifolds. if I fix my OG manifold, what would i need to fix/replace? And if i get aftermarket headers I would like some that bolt right to the y pipe and the plugs are still accessible. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!
Update: I found some long tube headers on summit that claim to work on a 4wd truck (k1500). I also have a 5 speed manual(If the transmission makes a difference of fitment). Does anyone have a rough idea if this will work? I can fab up a custom y pipe for the headers. Thanks!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would headers and cat back make a difference in a 5.0 with TBI?
Headers, 2.5" dual in/single 3" out high flow cat, 3" magnaflow, and tune made a big difference on the TBI 305 I had. It put down more than its crank rating at the tires. Only 7 rwhp down from my stock L31 350 and made 15 ft/lbs more torque.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers, 2.5" dual in/single 3" out high flow cat, 3" magnaflow, and tune made a big difference on the TBI 305 I had. It put down more than its crank rating at the tires. Only 7 rwhp down from my stock L31 350 and made 15 ft/lbs more torque.
That's impressive. I have always liked the 305, good engines but they get the same respect the 307 sbc got in the day lol

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if they would fit, I'm too lazy to check fitment, but I put a set of TorqueTech headers n Y-pipe on an old 90 GMC I had. 100% bolt on, (2wd), and already had a cat back exhaust. I got rid of the cat, and couldn't believe how much power it gave it. It's like I went from a V-6 to a big block, the torque down low was crazy. Another truck I had I put a set of shorty's on along with a custom muffler back. All it did was make noise. It sounded awesome, buddy who did the exhaust was even surprised how it sounded. Could have been the abused 200k+ on the motor, or the fact that it was a heavy truck (CCSB 4wd) but didn't make a difference in power. But I was in to the gas a bit more....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if they would fit, I'm too lazy to check fitment, but I put a set of TorqueTech headers n Y-pipe on an old 90 GMC I had. 100% bolt on, (2wd), and already had a cat back exhaust. I got rid of the cat, and couldn't believe how much power it gave it. It's like I went from a V-6 to a big block, the torque down low was crazy. Another truck I had I put a set of shorty's on along with a custom muffler back. All it did was make noise. It sounded awesome, buddy who did the exhaust was even surprised how it sounded. Could have been the abused 200k+ on the motor, or the fact that it was a heavy truck (CCSB 4wd) but didn't make a difference in power. But I was in to the gas a bit more....

Years ago, after removing the TB lip, first real change to my 97 Express was shorties to replace the cracked OE manifolds. Made a noticeable difference. Then tuned it. Later swapped the shorties for tri-Ys and swapped the OE cats for high flows. The tri-ys were a HUGE difference compared to even the shorties.

LVJJJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kept having trouble with cracking manifolds due to travel trailer towing, after 3 replacements bought JBA shorties, no more cracking. Price was right and fit was perfect. Noticed some increase in power but not much. Didn't want to go long tube as connecting to exhaust pipes would have been difficult. Have a lot of power with a 383 so extra power was not my purpose.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do these look right for smog legal Obs headers?

Attachments

• 73570247871__9C14CF82-0B9C-441E-8C3A-7BF9EB78D0FA.jpeg
    73570247871__9C14CF82-0B9C-441E-8C3A-7BF9EB78D0FA.jpeg
    342 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5132.jpeg
    IMG_5132.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image000007.jpeg
    image000007.jpeg
    63.2 KB · Views: 8