Headers or iron manifolds?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Greenacarina

Reaction score
Hello.
I am working on an 88, 4wd, 3/4 ton pickup.
It will be street driven and I plan on doing some towing and hauling.
Stock 350 is getting a mild cam, early 70's heads (1.94 x 1.50), 600 cfm carb, edelbrock performer intake, hei dist.
I am not looking to squeeze every ounce of power, but I don't want to cork this thing up, either...
I contemplated shorty headers, but it looks like I would never see my spark plugs again.
Are they that bad?
Are there cast iron manifolds that would do me better than the factory TBI units, power-wise?
I would like to run dual exhaust if possible, unless an aftermarket y-pipe could give similar results.

Thanks.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The general consensus has been that shorty headers are not worth the hassle. However, some swear by them. If you are already replacing cracked/warped manifolds then maybe it makes sense.

A properly sized and plumbed single exhaust will always make more power and torque than a similar dual exhaust, no matter the engine.

Most have reported a greater gain with a less restrictive y pipe than by switching to shorty headers.

*Edit* my original statement of any vehicle will make more power with a single exhaust was wrong since many vehicles may not support the space required to plumb a single exhaust properly.

Last edited:

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
if you do not want shortys get ram horn manifolds way better then logs.

headers like this may be an option but I do not think you will gain any thing from them other than sound
You must be registered for see images attach

Greenacarina

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, guys!
My manifolds are ok, condtion-wise. Just figured they would be undersized, like many of the components of the tbi engines.
I am looking now at y-pipes...summit and jegs have one for about $300 made by JBA, that I am sure is very nice...but seems like a lot of dough.
Jegs has a couple made by BRExhaust that say "direct fit" (2 different part #'s...not sure the difference. These are just over $100 and look much better than the Walker replacement...looks like more of a merge than the 90 degree coupling that Walker (and GM) use.
Any experience or thoughts on these?
Thanks

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Absolutely not true.
I think the theory is there's less surface area of gas touching metal which slows it down, so the single of equivalent flow capacity has an edge, on paper. I think it would be tough to really prove that either way because each setup is going to make power a bit differently.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the theory is there's less surface area of gas touching metal which slows it down, so the single of equivalent flow capacity has an edge, on paper. I think it would be tough to really prove that either way because each setup is going to make power a bit differently.
That may be the case, but that's not what he said. Properly sized is not the same as equally sized.
I'd guess that the difference between equally sized duals or single is theoretical, rather than observable in anything outside motorsports.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's okay people dog on me for liking my open element filters even though everyone "knows" they make less power.

Same as single exhaust vs dual exhaust. Everyone knows they make more power but there are still anecdotal cases where they don't.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another guy I trust on this forum says headers are a vast improvement over stock manifolds.

MY experience is that without tuning, without suitable modifications...you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference between stock manifolds and shorty headers on a GMT400 within a typical and truck-useful RPM range.