Keep Manifolds or get shorties?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO, shorty headers alone may add some TQ/HP but, in conjunction with other free flowing components you'll see a marked improvement. Things like a mandrel bent Y pipe, which helps in scavenging, to a 3" High Flow CAT, especially as apposed to the OE pellet ones, and a 3" straight through muffler, like the Borla Pro XS. YMMV :deal:
As stated earlier although I used Hooker long tubes, the 94 G10 with the 305 TBI was making 15 ft/lbs more torque and only 7 hp less than my L31 350 made stock. Headers, dual inlet cat, 3" single exhaust with a Magnaflow. The TBI stock exhaust especially with the pellet cat was a cork to any resemblence of power.

This 87 is like someone added a small shot of nitrous now compared to even the Hooker manifolds.

Last edited:

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, shorty headers alone may add some TQ/HP but, in conjunction with other free flowing components you'll see a marked improvement. Things like a mandrel bent Y pipe, which helps in scavenging, to a 3" High Flow CAT, especially as apposed to the OE pellet ones, and a 3" straight through muffler, like the Borla Pro XS. YMMV :deal:
This is exactly the exhaust we are putting on my son’s truck.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, you guys will love it! A word of caution, I do get a little drone around 60 MPH with 4.11 gears but, whoever drives that slow? :rolleyes:
The Borla has dual 2.5” outlets that we are going to pop out behind the tires. Hopefully it won’t drone too much.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great, you guys will love it! A word of caution, I do get a little drone around 60 MPH with 4.11 gears but, whoever drives that slow? :rolleyes:
Yikes, zero drone on the system I just built on the 87 G20. I think the ~45* out the rear tailpipes right in front of the rear bumper on both the 87 and 97 virtually eliminate any chance of interior drone. The sound goes out and away, no longer my problem, lol. Both use a large case turbo style muffler that is both fairly quiet and high flowing.

You must be registered for see images attach