Shorty headers not sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting but I recently put some shorty headers on my 94 c1500. I am having problems aligning the headers with the factory Y-pipe, am I supposed to be running the factory donut gaskets or is something maybe just wrong with how I’m trying to bolt them up? I’m currently running no gaskets, but I’m not sure if I am even supposed to need any. Here are some pictures of the connections…

Attachments

• IMG_8973.jpeg
    IMG_8973.jpeg
    266.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8975.jpeg
    IMG_8975.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 31

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

That looks to me like it should seal as long as it is tightened with the correct hardware and is square to the flange. If you have a small leak, you can get sealer, if they still make it, that comes in a tube and hardens up and seals with heat.

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time posting but I recently put some shorty headers on my 94 c1500. I am having problems aligning the headers with the factory Y-pipe, am I supposed to be running the factory donut gaskets or is something maybe just wrong with how I’m trying to bolt them up? I’m currently running no gaskets, but I’m not sure if I am even supposed to need any. Here are some pictures of the connections…
Welcome, you look to have two different ends there. The end on the header receives a larger cupped end that acts as a self aligning ball joint that just requires tightening to seal. The pipe end looks like a regular doughnut type gasket end that goes into the standard cast manifolds. My Hedman headers have that self aligning ball joint type connection and it isn't very good at staying tightened up.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome, you look to have two different ends there. The end on the header receives a larger cupped end that acts as a self aligning ball joint that just requires tightening to seal. The pipe end looks like a regular doughnut type gasket end that goes into the standard cast manifolds. My Hedman headers have that self aligning ball joint type connection and it isn't very good at staying tightened up.
Thankfully, someone knew for sure. The OE pipe flare would be bigger, right? Did not see it. Would the OE flange plate line up to the header studs?

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully, someone knew for sure. The OE pipe flare would be bigger, right? Did not see it. Would the OE flange plate line up to the header studs?
The OE pipe flare looks std but what he needs is the other half of the header flange. On my Hedman headers that part came with them as it also reduces the collector from 3" to 2.5"

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The end on the header receives a larger cupped end that acts as a self aligning ball joint that just requires tightening to seal. The pipe end looks like a regular doughnut type gasket end that goes into the standard cast manifolds
^^^ This. The exhaust pipe should be flared for the "ball and socket" joint. Here's my JBA "Y" pipe, you can see the flare on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the ball end...
You must be registered for see images attach

ToasyNut

Reaction score
Any muffler shop could do the flare I would think
Okay, I have an appointment with one on Monday because I haven’t been able to get them squared up. I thought the header flange looked like a bit different of geometry than the OEM donut gaskets.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies! I have an appointment set up with my local muffler shop to try and sort out the issue but wanted to see if anyone on here knew anything. I will certainly let them know about the geometry of the socket being different than the ball. Thank yall!