Keep Manifolds or get shorties?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackMold

Reaction score
I have a 93 k1500 with a 350, I believe my right exhaust manifold has rusted off the y pipe (unless there's a gasket between the y pipe and manifold that's completely gone) So I need to fix or replace my manifolds. if I fix my OG manifold, what would i need to fix/replace? And if i get aftermarket headers I would like some that bolt right to the y pipe and the plugs are still accessible. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I have a 93 k1500 with a 350, I believe my right exhaust manifold has rusted off the y pipe (unless there's a gasket between the y pipe and manifold that's completely gone) So I need to fix or replace my manifolds. if I fix my OG manifold, what would i need to fix/replace? And if i get aftermarket headers I would like some that bolt right to the y pipe and the plugs are still accessible. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and have a good day!
There is a seal between the Y pipe and the manifold, see about getting that repaired first. It should be a fairly straight forward fix.

Last edited:

BlackMold

Reaction score
i spent the money to get a good quality set of shorties, i hate the rust bucket look of factory manifolds. I consider it a cosmetic upgrade only. i dont know if they are specific for vortec or not, but im sure they make one that fits a tbi
Thanks for the suggestion, I looked and those are for vortec only. I'm reluctant to spend a lot of money on headers but I probably need to bite the bullet and spend the money.

BlackMold

Reaction score
Long tubes actually give you a measurable gain. You might as well if your spending the $. Or just get junkyard manifolds.
I have thought about long tubes, the main issue is my truck is 4wd and they are a pain to install on 4wd models. But thank you for the suggestion!

BlackMold

Reaction score
I forgot to add this, I'm Planning to run a 3" exhaust all the way through in the future. One of the main reason I would get aftermarket headers would be sound. Any suggestions for that would also be apprenticed.

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Long tubes will require a little bit of custom work, whereas shorties should bolt right into the place of the factory manifolds with no other modification required.

If you are going to be upgrading the rest of the exhaust, might as well do the headers while you're in there.