Shorty headers not sealing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToasyNut

Reaction score
^^^ This. The exhaust pipe should be flared for the "ball and socket" joint. Here's my JBA "Y" pipe, you can see the flare on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's the ball end...
You must be registered for see images attach
Yeah, the ball end on mine are a little longer

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, you look to have two different ends there. The end on the header receives a larger cupped end that acts as a self aligning ball joint that just requires tightening to seal. The pipe end looks like a regular doughnut type gasket end that goes into the standard cast manifolds. My Hedman headers have that self aligning ball joint type connection and it isn't very good at staying tightened up.
Not to hijack this mans thread but try using Bowman nuts. Those are the all steel self locking nuts and use lock washers behind them but don't completely crush them. The idea is to pull the flanges to the balls but still allow for engine movement. The semi compressed lock washers act like the old GM exhaust flange springs.