1997 Vortec 5.7 exhaust, shorties CEL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ozzy4194

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Z71. Dual cats. Can anyone tell me for certain, if doing a cat back exhaust (dual mufflers into single 3" tail pipe) will trigger the CEL? And how about with shorty headers? thanks!

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, let's think about this. Are there any sensors behind the split flange on a Vortec? Why yes there are. So, does your cat back system have a place to transfer B2 downstream O2 sensor?

Shorty headers are a decent upgrade over restrictive manifolds, but be aware of the need for proper EGR plumbing on the driver side. The tube is NLA.

Ozzy4194

Reaction score
I'll be adding an 02 bung on the after flange pipe that needs it. I'll be running the EGR. What I'm concerned about is PO131 and 151 lean codes.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As long as both up stream sensors are there, then should be ok. Down stream ones only monitor the health of the cats, but can be removed. I did it to a couple trucks, put spark plug non-foulers in first then the sensors, no more check engine light.