Radio/CD Player and Speaker Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
1997 K1500 ext cab third door 5.7 automatic

I noticed on cold mornings that the cd player dont play right like the speakers are going bad. Then cd player plays fine when under dash parts are warm from running truck in cold temperatures. Radio plays fine in cold temperatures at this time. Then later on on a another day I noticed that the cd player is starting to not play right when temperatures in the 50's on a normal day in the afternoon. At this time I can no longer use the cd player cause it wont play right. Today I noticed the radio starting to do the same thing and not sounding right. When I mean dont play right or dont sound right meaning alot of static coming from the speakers. Is this a speaker issue? Can this still be a issue with the stereo unit itself? Do I have 6 1/2 speakers in the front doors and 4x6 in the back on this truck?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Sounds like a wire shorting that's not completly broken. Check the plug-in on the back of the unit. Square, white.
If not, could be (could be...) one of the wires going to the door speakers may have gotten tired from all the flexing over the years inside the door jam. Driver side would be the first to check. Check the speaker connects themselves too.
Yes, on the speaker sizes.
You might consider an aftermarket head unit to go with some new speakers & wires. These trucks are getting on & the factory stereos were not the best to begin with.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
if I'm gonna take apart the door panels to wiring I'm gonna go ahead and replace the door speakers for starters. I know I have a short in the drivers rear 4x6 cause it only works if you hit the molding. Yes I'm aware of the Gm problems with these cd players/radios. Before this I trouble with the cd starting from the beginning on its own. It would just spit it out and display err. Now it plays from the beginning on it own when it wants to now. I found a pioneer headunit for $75 that that the usb port for playing music from a flashdrive.

Thanks for info.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Sounds like a wire shorting that's not completly broken. Check the plug-in on the back of the unit. Square, white.
If not, could be (could be...) one of the wires going to the door speakers may have gotten tired from all the flexing over the years inside the door jam. Driver side would be the first to check. Check the speaker connects themselves too.
Yes, on the speaker sizes.
You might consider an aftermarket head unit to go with some new speakers & wires. These trucks are getting on & the factory stereos were not the best to begin with.

If I'm gonna take apart the door panels to check wiring I'm gonna go ahead and replace the door speakers for starters. I know I have a short in the drivers rear 4x6 cause it only works if you hit the molding. Yes I'm aware of the Gm problems with these cd players/radios. Before this I trouble with the cd starting from the beginning on its own. It would just spit it out and display err. Now it plays from the beginning on it own when it wants to now. I found a pioneer headunit for $75 that that the usb port for playing music from a flashdrive.

I also noticed when my headlights and dashlights are on that my radio display and door button lights go dim but thats the only time it happens.

Thanks for info.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
No probs. I was suggesting. Without the truck right here in front of me, I`m edjumacatedly guessing. Post updates when you can.:)

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
No probs. I was suggesting. Without the truck right here in front of me, I`m edjumacatedly guessing. Post updates when you can.:)

Ok, I might take out stereo to check the connections on it. How is that done? Any special tools needed?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Actually neither of my trucks came with a factory stereo. IIRR, there is a special tool to remove the deck. Looks like a flat 2 pronged fork. Slides into either side of the deck to release some clips. Stereo shop. Cheap. Someone else may know better than me.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Gotta pull the surround on the dash. Turn the key just so you can pull your shift lever all the way into low. Pull the cup holder open. With your fingers pull gently around the edges of the surround. It's just held with clips, but they will break if you're not careful. Bit of a PITA to get it past the 4way flasher switch. Once that is off, you should be able to see how the deck is held in.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
There are 2 lever style clips that hold the unit in place..one on each side. Press down on the levers and the radio should slide out, props to gm for making such a simple design.