Radio/CD Player and Speaker Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Couple of things I learned putting my stereo in a couple weeks ago; First of all, when you're popping off the dash surround, tilt the wheel all the way down, drop the shift lever to first, and have a small blade screw driver to release the plugs from whatever switches you have-H/L, Cargo Lamp, etc. I also recommend rewiring the front speakers (which are 6.5", btw). Walmart has heavy gauge Scosche speaker wire (16ga. I think-might be 14). The best way I found to get the wires from the kick panel to the door is to find a wire hanger (they're getting scarce in my neck of the woods) and cut a foot or more out of it and put a small hook at one end and a 'tee' at the other. Snake the hook from the kick panel side through the boot into the door and put a bit of the new wire in the hook and then tape it so the hook wont catch on anything, and pull it back through. The hole in the kick panel doesn't line up with the hole the boot attaches to so its a pain and you have to do some creative bending of the wire to get it to feed. In the rear, I didn't bother trying to dismantle the whole truck just to get to the speakers. I figured that correctly set up for front stage, the rear speakers are getting very little signal, so I didn't feel they needed heavy gauge wire. I popped the drivers side pocket out from under the side window and fished out the speaker wires and connected them there. Both sides are there because the passenger side wires go over the top under the headliner.

davbell22602

1997 Chevy Silverado 4x4
Reaction score
Couple of things I learned putting my stereo in a couple weeks ago; First of all, when you're popping off the dash surround, tilt the wheel all the way down, drop the shift lever to first, and have a small blade screw driver to release the plugs from whatever switches you have-H/L, Cargo Lamp, etc. I also recommend rewiring the front speakers (which are 6.5", btw). Walmart has heavy gauge Scosche speaker wire (16ga. I think-might be 14). The best way I found to get the wires from the kick panel to the door is to find a wire hanger (they're getting scarce in my neck of the woods) and cut a foot or more out of it and put a small hook at one end and a 'tee' at the other. Snake the hook from the kick panel side through the boot into the door and put a bit of the new wire in the hook and then tape it so the hook wont catch on anything, and pull it back through. The hole in the kick panel doesn't line up with the hole the boot attaches to so its a pain and you have to do some creative bending of the wire to get it to feed. In the rear, I didn't bother trying to dismantle the whole truck just to get to the speakers. I figured that correctly set up for front stage, the rear speakers are getting very little signal, so I didn't feel they needed heavy gauge wire. I popped the drivers side pocket out from under the side window and fished out the speaker wires and connected them there. Both sides are there because the passenger side wires go over the top under the headliner.

Thanks for the tips. I like your wheels. Where did you buy those at?

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Came with the truck-wish they were 20s but 18s are better than the 17s I have on my green truck. They are Eagle Alloys 212s.

Oh, BTW, thanks, I like them too.