Push rods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supspt454

Reaction score
What pushrods is anyone running for a 383 with Edelbrock heads and 1.6. I know factory is 7.200. I have a push rod length checker and almost to the point to measure. Just trying to get an idea what y’all using. Thanks.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said, stock is about 7.2".

No one can tell you what you need. There's a dozen variables in an engine that affect proper pushrod length. Get an adjustable pushrod as a tool, and find out what length makes the smallest/narrowest pattern on the valve tip.

Doesn't have to be perfectly centered so long as it doesn't go off the edge of the valve tip as it rolls across.

If you have pushrod guideplates, you MUST have hardened pushrods. If the pushrods are not guided by guideplates or oval holes in the iron cylinder head, you MUST have self-guiding rockers...but don't use guided pushrods AND self-guiding rockers.

The ones I just bought are https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G6406

Summit is currently running a discount code if your order is at least $250.

supspt454

Reaction score
Hi. Yeah, I have all that stuff. I was just trying to get some ideas of what length others are running with a similar combo. I know they will all be different. I will post what my measurement will be later today. Thanks.

supspt454

Reaction score
I took a small shoulder nut and placed upside down in the lifter removed the spring and reassembled. Perfectly locked out the lifter to check for PRL.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_2370.jpeg
    IMG_2370.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2371.jpeg
    IMG_2371.jpeg
    225.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2372.jpeg
    IMG_2372.jpeg
    222.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2373.jpeg
    IMG_2373.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 4

supspt454

Reaction score
Wear pattern with 7.200 push rods and 1.6 ratio rockers.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not bad. Perfectly centered, not as narrow as I'd prefer (but they're OK.) I'll take narrow over centered. In a perfect world, you'd have both. Keep in mind that in actual use, the pushrod will preload the lifter by ~.050 or thereabouts, making the pushrod effectively a little shorter. This may or may not improve your pattern.

Those are hardened pushrods...right? And the rockers are not self-aligning?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take narrow over centered. In a perfect world, you'd have both. Keep in mind that in actual use, the pushrod will preload the lifter by ~.050 or thereabouts, making the pushrod effectively a little shorter. This may or may not improve your pattern.
^^^Yep. Here's mine after running (with Summit Racing aluminum heads, guide plates, chromoly push rods and full roller rockers) for ~8,000 Miles. A little off center but, a pretty nice wear pattern. Kinda out of focus but, you get the idea.

supspt454

Reaction score
Not bad. Perfectly centered, not as narrow as I'd prefer (but they're OK.) I'll take narrow over centered. In a perfect world, you'd have both. Keep in mind that in actual use, the pushrod will preload the lifter by ~.050 or thereabouts, making the pushrod effectively a little shorter. This may or may not improve your pattern.

Those are hardened pushrods...right? And the rockers are not self-aligning?
BTR hardened chrome pushrods, comp cams steel roller tip rockers (non self aligning) guide plates.