Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dang you guys got some nice set ups it's all clean
Mine not quite there yet. Still putting in the hours on it.

Fighting humidity at the moment. Started cleaning the nearly 23 years of caked on grease, oil and road grime off my crossmember and front frame section a couple of nights ago. Was already trying to surface rust tonight. With the a/c blasting shop is holding about 75°F and 70% humidity. Painted the bare part of the top of the engine crossmember. I finished truck bed lining the lower and upper side of the inner fenders earlier this week. Have to pull the harness and finish reworking and relooming it. Working 6 days a week is nice for the income for my projects but only leaves 2-3 hours a night worth of energy to mess with stuff, making progress slow at best. Had my alternator bracket in the heated ultrasonic cleaner tonight and then primed it so that I can paint it cast aluminum. Hoping for a very clean install on this L31 based 383. All the oil cooler hoses for the engine and trans as well as the power steering lines to the hydroboost and box are going to be black protective sleeved AN lines. Installing a custom electric fan setup and aluminim radiator with all new red silicon hoses including all the heater hoses. Also going to order a Redhead steering gearbox. At my current rate I may have the thing ready to put back on the road around the end of August.

My suggestion is take it off the road, do everything to make it right, then put it back on the road without having a ton of little annoying problems.

You must be registered for see images attach

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What you mean by paper push? I used to live in the central valley too in Stockton and would get pulled over daily . They would pull me and cite me a ticket for my car being to lowered wtf. I knew people who would get there cars impounded for motor swaps or just missing vin numbers. It was tough having modified cars up there. Even down here I had a cop follow me to a smoke shop. That's why I want to be legit . So they don't have an excuse to take my property or fine me for my hard working money.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to live in the central valley too in Stockton and would get pulled over daily
Before moving here, I lived in Los Banos for 16 years and in Merced for 7, I never had any problems with the cops :waytogo:. Well, except for 1 CHP commercial a$$hole in LB who pulled me over a few times when pulling a trailer or farm implement. After a few years we started getting along and would wave to each other going down the road, LOL. As suggested, just run 2 tunes - 1 for $hit and get, and the other for smog.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How did you get mid 300s ?
I could see it with heads, intake, exhaust, cam, injectors & tune, will get you close at least.

I'm pretty close to that with my 88 5.7L TBI. I did what @red98 said - Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow w/CARB E.O.) aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 valves, bored Throttle Body running at 20 PSI (instead of 13), Lunati cam (.484/.468 with 1.6 full roller rockers), shorty headers, mandrel bent Y pipe to 3" with high flow cat and Borla Pro SX straight through muffler. Tuned on a EBL Flash-II ECM. I got it from 11.2 sec (0-60) and 18.6 (1/4 mile) to high 6s and low 14s respectively.

If I can do it with a TBI, you can surely get there with a Vortec :Big Laugh:, it's gotta breathe better, that's all :waytogo: