Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your level of knowledge regarding how motors work?
Forced induction isn't as simple as bolting some sh¡t on and going with it.
Also keep in mind that if a shop can't make it smog legal, you are unlikely to be able to either, so then what?

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi does anyone have any experience with installs with prochargers?

I want to install one on my 5.7
It's a 99 Tahoe.
Will I need bigger injectors? Likely- but you can't just do injectors on most Vortec 5.7s, unless you swap the intake
Can I still get a Dyno tune? Yes
Or do I go HP tuners/ black bear. Also possible
Pcm411 swap. Yes
Do I need a bigger fuel pump? Depends, but probably
Regular gas or 91 octane? Depends on the tune, but usually higher octane stuff
I also live in California so I have to be smog legal the procharger is 50 state legal I spoke to a shop in socal and he said I can't tune my computer because it's illegal he was a dealer for procharger is that true? Pretty much any customization is illegal in some way, especially in ****** states like Cali and NY
Theres 2 versions of the procharger kit one for tuning which 1 should I get?
I also want to put a lt1 hotcam or comp cam as well sometime in the future. Doable with tuning
Any reputable shops you guys can recommend in so cal that can install?
I got quoted 2500- $3000 just for the install. Sounds low. I'd expect to spend $5-7k at least.
And what's the HP/tq numbers I should be seeing? Stock will be like 250hp and like 300tq so probably100-200 gains if you do ALL that ****

Last edited:

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to try something new, if I fail at this it's okay. Everyone has to learn some way or another in some type of form or fashion. Alot of you guys are just giving me opinions and not giving any good input on how to install it.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to try something new, if I fail at this it's okay. Everyone has to learn some way or another in some type of form or fashion. Alot of you guys are just giving me opinions and not giving any good input on how to install it.
Answered like 6/8 of your questions, at least vaguely.
A lot of what you're asking will have to do with what your goals are, you could get a massive procharger and build the motor and make 800hp, and then you'd need to upgrade entire fuel system, entire intake and exhaust, internals etc. But if you're going with a basic bolt-on kit then the kit should advertise expected power gains, as well as telling you what kind of fuel flow and air flow etc. you'll need to make it work.

A couple pounds of boost, and your fuel system might be adequate, a couple more and it probably won't be.

And the best input for how to install it, is to find a damn speedshop that actually wants your money, rather than one that just doesn't want to deal with you. This **** isn't basic and you can make your engine or trans go bang in a split second if you screw it up.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was under the understanding that in california, everything the truck had when it was built must there and anything else is a fail. am I wrong?
That's the idea I think, I figure pretty much any mod of any kind can/will get you in trouble eventually, if you run into enough of a stickler of a cop/inspector.