Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi does anyone have any experience with installs with prochargers?

I want to install one on my 5.7
It's a 99 Tahoe.
Will I need bigger injectors?
Can I still get a Dyno tune?
Or do I go HP tuners/ black bear.
Pcm411 swap.
Do I need a bigger fuel pump?
Regular gas or 91 octane?
I also live in California so I have to be smog legal the procharger is 50 state legal I spoke to a shop in socal and he said I can't tune my computer because it's illegal he was a dealer for procharger is that true?
Theres 2 versions of the procharger kit one for tuning which 1 should I get?
I also want to put a lt1 hotcam or comp cam as well sometime in the future.
Any reputable shops you guys can recommend in so cal that can install?
I got quoted 2500- $3000 just for the install.
And what's the HP/tq numbers I should be seeing?

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
Legit questions, btw. SoCal should be an easy place to find a reputable shop to get to know and ask advice from. Lots of things to be realistic about, too.
A procharged 5.7 in a daily driver type of '99 Tahoe is still going to be a large turd compared to so many other factory stock cars and trucks out there. I'm planning on putting a 500 ci. engine in my truck. They make an 8-71 blower kit specifically for my engine. Even if I had "stupid money" and did that, it would only be for the "WTF?! Does that thing have a blower?!?!?!" factor.
Not saying a '99 Tahoe CAN'T be fast, but it will take nearly its weight in $100 bills to get there.

Just answer the questions @618 Syndicate asked above. We're not being negative, just not sure of your goal...

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great question my goal would be a daily driver , probably do burn outs , cool factor I know it's not going to be the quickest I just wanted more power. My second option was to go 383 or LS swap but do to smog laws and people in so cal don't want to bar or state reff after the swap I decided to keep my 5.7 it has low miles about 30 k so I want to enjoy it while I can. @ 1 ton what was your Dyno numbers ? Did you at least hit the 400 HP/tq ?

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^this.
Find a speed shop and let them tell you what needs to be done.
No disrespect, but I can tell from the questions you're asking you probably won't be doing this yourself, so rather than taking all our opinions (which will undoubtedly differ) to someone and hoping, find a reputable shop and let them guide you. Set a realistic budget and stick to it.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My first option was to find a shop but most said they can't make it smog legal. So I have to do it myself is there a PDF or a d.i.y for installing this kit?