Procharger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty close to that with my 88 5.7L TBI. I did what @red98 said - Summit Racing (made by Trick Flow w/CARB E.O.) aluminum heads 2.02/1.60 valves, bored Throttle Body running at 20 PSI (instead of 13), Lunati cam (.484/.468 with 1.6 full roller rockers), shorty headers, mandrel bent Y pipe to 3" with high flow cat and Borla Pro SX straight through muffler. Tuned on a EBL Flash-II ECM. I got it from 11.2 sec (0-60) and 18.6 (1/4 mile) to high 6s and low 14s respectively.

If I can do it with a TBI, you can surely get there with a Vortec :Big Laugh:, it's gotta breathe better, that's all :waytogo:
Low 14's is pretty darned good with that truck on TBI. Nicely done.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the aluminum heads worth the upgrade. I read somewhere and they said it was just a remanufactured vortec head .

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the aluminum heads worth the upgrade. I read somewhere and they said it was just a remanufactured vortec head .
My heads? They're drilled for the TBI intake but, I'm sure you can find some for Vortec. My heads are fast burn design with bigger valves and slant plugs than Vortec and flow better. On an episode of Engine Masters (I think) they took identical iron and aluminum heads. Ran them on the dyno, the Aluminum heads put out ~5 HP more. So, a simple answer no, they're different. Plus going from the swirl port TBI design to these is quite a bit better performance.

You must be registered for see images attach

Plus they look cooler, LOL

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you swap to ls6 springs?
Nope, the springs that came with the heads are good for .525" lift IIRC and they're good up to ~6,000 RPM. I have mine shifting at 5,000 RPM. If I take it up to 5,400 I don't gain anything since I'm getting out of my power curve with a 2500 stall converter.

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Here's a video I came across today cheap aluminum heads for half the cost

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I called a couple shops and they don't want to touch gmt400s because they said it's to hard to tune
I was under the understanding that in california, everything the truck had when it was built must be there and anything else is a fail. am I wrong?
Pre OBD2 is pretty much free game. just have to pass the sniffer.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Man am I ever glad Ontario did away with emmisions testing. that was the only time anyone looked under the hood for anything like this. vehicles get safetied once and they dont care about emmisions crap at all. now a days as long as your not throwing up black smoke no one cares. and even then theres those dirty diesels that are purposely tuned to do that. a couple days ago a crazy lil VW wagon, bright florescent green goes flying down my road wide open blowing black smoke all the way while passing some nice new car of some sort. and that's the flip side of no emmisions testing.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow now I don't know about so cal but here in the central valley we d.g.a.f about emissions we just paper push the right forms for the cops my 96 5.7 liter pushes mid 300hp naturally aspirated if that's not fast enough for a daily driver at 220k best start just buying new
I was kidding, but if you think 300 whp is fast enough for a daily we are not the same. My daily is about twice that.