Popping turn signal fuses 94 silverado

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bother with the trailer harness, bulbs, reverse circuit, etc. Check the wiring between your fuse box and the steering column connector, cigarette lighter, and convenience center. I'm looking at the '89 diagram, but it's probably not too far off from what you have. Inspect the cigarette lighter socket closely; I can't tell you how many times I replaced fuses because somebody jammed some aftermarket gadget into a cigarette lighter and it shorted stuff out.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm almost done ******* with this. I cannot figure it out. I disconnected the taillights, reverse light switch, turn signal switch at the base of the column, and removed the turn signal relay, cigar lighter and wiring is good. I owned the truck since new, never used the lighter, or any aftermarket plug in that would go in the lighter socket. I'm still popping fuses. I am not an electrical guru by any means, I just cannot figure this out.

Last edited:

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
Here’s what you need to do. Remove the fuse, go get a cheap headlamp or any other 12v lamp and several feet of wire. Connect the wires to the headlamp, and run the other ends to the fuse panel where the fuse was. What you have essentially done here is created a short finder with a headlight. With a direct short, your light will shine. Now trace down everything in that circuit. Get to unplugging components, jiggling wires, etc. when that light goes out, you’re in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to autozone bought new 15A fuses. Remarked that they were a bit expensive for being plastic fuses and all. When I plugged one in and it instantly popped it has a small red LED indicator light that stayed lit up after the fuse popped. I guess I will use that as I unplug stuff and move wires around to try to figure this out, wiring in a light across the fuse terminals will work too. I thought about this. I have a light tester with an alligator clip and a pointed probe I can use too. Wifey said maybe it's time to put her down. I said NO, gonna start unplugging **** until I find it.

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
That works too. I only mentioned the headlight because you’ll see it no matter where you are which makes life easier.

You’ll find it. Take some beer breaks and keep at it. Shorts are frustrating but when you finally find and fix it, it feels amazing.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You've probably checked this already but I'll throw it out just in case. Under the rear of the truck by the bumper there's a connector that goes to the tail lights. This is where most people usually plug in a T-adapter for a four or five pin trailer harness plug. I would unplug that connector and check the pins for any kind of corrosion or damage.