Turning steering wheel blows turn signal fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

9812VDuslly

Reaction score
98 K3500.
Turn signal fuse started blowing awhile ago when engaged.
Now it blows whenever the steering wheel is turned too far one way or the other.

I just replaced the multifunction switch. Not it. Still doing it.
I'm at my wits end with this ****** truck. Shoulda bought a Toyota.

Anyone ever had or fixed this same problem?

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a bare wire in or around the column shorting out. Get under the dash, stand on your head, and poke around at all the wires, looking for a spot that's rubbed. If you don't find anything you're going to have to tear the column down.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you didn't troubleshoot, you just guessed and replaced a switch that didn't repair the problem. Does this explain why we troubleshoot, to find the problem.
Your angry with the truck? Your wallet has the problem now.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not that, but if you whine and complain, about why it didn't magically fix itself. Face it, you screwed up. Learn , move on, don't make the same bad choice twice. That's life.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not everybody jumps in at an expert level of diagnosis skill. We have to accept that some people are going to be throwing parts and frustrated.

Bitching at people isn't teaching, and 9812VDuslly (and the several others whom you've griped at in the last couple days) probably isn't going to listen to you because you shut him down right off the bat. You just needed to include a little more tact. Go ahead and bust his balls a bit, but throw in something that lets him know you appreciate him participating here. You're a smart guy, but nobody will see if if you shut them down.

9812VDuslly

Reaction score
Not that, but if you whine and complain, about why it didn't magically fix itself. Face it, you screwed up. Learn , move on, don't make the same bad choice twice. That's life.

I've been trouble shooting wiring, swapping trucks etc since you were swimming around in your daddies balls.
Check my other posts, clown.

Can't trouble shoot something properly thats intermittent. Like most electrical problems are. Hence purchasing the MFS when the problem can't be replicated.
If your not going to be part of the solution then go do something that's actually productive with your mouth instead of blowing only hot air.

9812VDuslly

Reaction score
You have a bare wire in or around the column shorting out. Get under the dash, stand on your head, and poke around at all the wires, looking for a spot that's rubbed. If you don't find anything you're going to have to tear the column down.

Found it.
After spending a day doing just that and going through the entire column harness and every wire I could grab without dropping the dash, the problem went away again. And then I hooked up my trailer and back it came.

Turns out was a loose wire on the rear of the truck on the b/u light circuit that would only blow when I was hooked to a trailer.
Think the weight was enough to move it just right that it rubbed through and ground out on the frame whenever I would turn with a trailer on.