weird turn signal problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay so I cleaned ALL sockets checked the grounds and sprayed contact cleaner on everything and checked fuses and it still didn’t fix the problem.

BUT I think I fixed the problem. I went NAPA and got a flasher relay and it SEEMS to have fixed the problem. kind of weird that the relay would have went out in the last 30 days or so….

I had to head to Atlanta earlier but I am going to check it one more time together in the AM.

One more clarification from y’all. when the headlights are on the side markers and the turn signals blink back and forth instead of together?

marshallsmith27

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome!! Y’all are amazing for helping me figure this one out. It wasn’t what I thought it was but not I have all very clean sockets and now I will apply some dielectric grease. I need to get new headlights ASAP anyway because the black headlights on this truck are dangerous at night. I also realized from doing this when the previous owner installed the 94-98 grill he didn’t install the 94-98 bumper brackets but got the grill and the insert at the bottom and just jammed them in there and none of that stuff is bolted and neither are the headlights… lots of screwy stuff the guy I bought the truck from but I have fixed it all with y’all’s help

One2overkome

Reaction score
That would be a combo of OE applied dielectric paste, lack thereof, and electrical corrosion. Probably should reapply some dielectric grease.

Double check the installation of the 1157 bulbs. There are two little offset tangs on the side of the metal of the bulb that locate it properly in the socket. It's possible to screw up the orientation and cause malfunctions.
And make sure they're dual filament 1157, not single 1156...
I know this was months ago, but i went thru the same issue and found the polarity of the anber bulbs is what causes the issues. Agreeing and reenforcing.
That would be a combo of OE applied dielectric paste, lack thereof, and electrical corrosion. Probably should reapply some dielectric grease.

Double check the installation of the 1157 bulbs. There are two little offset tangs on the side of the metal of the bulb that locate it properly in the socket. It's possible to screw up the orientation and cause malfunctions.
And make sure they're dual filament 1157, not single 1156...

Boyder102

Reaction score
I would also follow up on the tail light circuit boards. I had a very similar issue with my 98, all lights would work fine untill I turned on the running lights/headlights. Then I found a rear light frying the housing, I bout new tail light assemblies and everything was fine.