Passlock Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I guess that you could just bend the ends of the resistor in a U shape and stick them in the plug where the passlock sensor is supposed to go, connecting the yellow and black/orange wire, and then program your truck to it to prove to yourself that it'll work before you cut anything. I would not suggest leaving it like this long term tho, if you lose connection, you will be back in tamper mode, or not be able to get it to pick up the resistor at all.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading your thread with interest. This 98 Z71 I am working on has a bad set of keys, but I have a good cylinder and key from a parts truck I was thinking of trying. Will I need to do the re-learn process just to change out the cylinder?

98_k1500

Reaction score
No, the passlock sensor is in the cylinder housing, simply changing the cylinder will not require a re-learn. It can be changed without removing the column covers if you can turn the key to the start position.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Cover's gotta be off so you can stick a pick into the hole in the housing, to remove the tumbler.

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
You can reach beside the lock cyl with a bent pick and push the button if you know where the hole is. I just used a piece of bent stainless MIG wire to do mine.

inthechateau

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
98_K1500, thanks for the response. That was what i was hoping to hear. Changing out the lock set tonight. Got to replace drive door handle too so going to do the doors to match as well. Excellent topic for a sticky for sure.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yea, i went into this practically blind because i couldn find any info on it. Glad i could help someone else.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You can reach beside the lock cyl with a bent pick and push the button if you know where the hole is. I just used a piece of bent stainless MIG wire to do mine.

Not disagreeing but I'll just have to take your word for it. Seems difficult to me...and on the other hand, not hard to remove the column shroud plastics.

Hole be seen here:
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

98_k1500

Reaction score
With a flash light, small screw driver to pry the cover over a tad, and a piece of solid wire bent at a 90, you can hit that hole pretty easy and not have to pull anything else. Thanks for the pic, I couldn find one from this angle when i did the original thread. Like he said, not hard to remove the plastic either way tho.

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Since I am not that familiar with the Passlock system I have a question. Does the truck keep the relearned info in the PCM even when you change the battery or do you have to perform the relearn procedure again?

And yes I know my truck does not have this system, just in case anyone was wondering, LOL.