Passlock Bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
So, I couldn find any thread that could confirm exactly how to bypass the passlock on my 98 k2500. I started having issues out of it going into tamper mode a couple of weeks ago, and last night the passlock module in the ignition switch completely bit the dust. This also will bypass the passlock if you want to install a remote start kit on your truck. I took my lock cylinder out and removed my column covers. This can be done without removing the steering wheel if you know how. Pull out your tilt lever first (if you have tilt). It just pulls straight out, kinda hard but it will come. Remove your lower column cover. Then you can unbolt your upper column cover. Take a stiff piece of wire and bend it at a 90° angle about 1/4 inch from the end. Wiggle the column cover where it can be inserted just above the ignition lock cylinder. Using a flashlight, you can see the small hole in the top of the aluminum housing that releases the lock cylinder from the housing. Put the truck into reverse (or don't press the clutch if you have a manual, you don't want it to try to start when you turn the key). Turn the key into the start position, then press the wire into the hole on top of the lock cylinder. The lock cylinder will pull straight out in the start position. At this point, the upper column cover can be removed. You will be looking at this little booger right here.
You must be registered for see images

You will need to cut the yellow and black/orange wires. Leave the red/white connected to the passlock sensor or cut it and cover the end of it with something, it will no longer be used. It is a 12v reference wire below the resistor block (the part that is factory heat shrinked in the pic a couple inches down from the plug) and 5V above it. The yellow and the black/orange wires go straight thru this block, so it does not matter which side of this you cut them on. Next, you will need a 560 ohm resistor. Easiest place to get them is radio shack. I bought a 5 pack of them for $1.20. It does not matter what watt the resistor is because there is not any load on the circuit, but it needs to be one that is accurate to 5% so it will work with your body control module properly. Solder the resistor between the yellow and black/orange wire and heat shrink them. Now it is time to do a re-learn. Re-insert your lock cylinder. Try to start your truck. It will start then immediately die. The security light on the dash will be flashing. Leave the key on until the passlock light goes out, this will take approximately 10 mins. At this point, turn your key off, then try to start your truck again. Again, it will start and die, with the security light on the dash flashing. Let it sit for 10 mins or until the light stops flashing, then turn the key off, and try to start your truck. It will start and die again. Repeat the wait until the security light goes off again. This time when the light goes off, turn your key off, then turn it back on. The security light will come on for bulb check, then go out. Start your truck. It has now learned this new resistor, and will not give any passlock issues again. Pull your lock cylinder back out by turning it to start, then pressing the release button again. Put your column covers back on, and re-insert your lock cylinder and tilt lever. No more passlock, no switches or relays to mess with, and no chance of your battery dying and your truck losing the enable code and going into tamper mode as it can if you just cut the wire with the truck running. This also will not turn your security light on . Hope i help someone with this thread, I sure could have used this when i did it, It took me a whole day to sort it all out.

98_k1500

Reaction score
I figure this might should be a sticky... This info is really hard to come by.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Didn't I send you the link with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

98_k1500

Reaction score
Yea, but it was kinda vague, and i could not get my multimeter to read any resistance on those wires. It just kept putting the truck into tamper mode as soon as i touched them, so i had no idea on what range resistor i needed. The whole relay in the equation is also not really a good idea, its just adding a failure point and has no benefits. It was very helpful in determining where to start on this and what needed to happen to make it work tho. Thanks for that again. I wanted to be as clear about all this as i could be so someone that is not as mechanically inclined could follow it and not mess anything up.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the same problem with trying to find the resistance so I gave up and now I can do it thanks to your write up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why 560?? Mt 91 Camaro had that stupid passlock crap thingy on the key and I hated it. I had to have a locksmith hook up a tool that measured the ohm resistance on the key so I could have a new one made after loosing the only one to the car. He said that GM used 15 different values at that time in their security systems. Just wondering if they continued to do the same thing in these trucks and if so then each of us owners will have a handful of possible different ohm values.

98_k1500

Reaction score
Thats called passkey if the resistor is on the key. These trucks have passlock. They serve the same purpose tho. Yes, GM used a multitude of resistors in these trucks, but any of them can be programmed to the 560 ohm resistor. Im not real sure of the limits of the values it will accept, but the 560 is commonly available and any truck will program to it.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And this is the only way for us to get rid of the annoying security feature? My truck is having issues with the passlock and I want to totally get rid of it. I just dont feel comfortable cutting wires like this

98_k1500

Reaction score
This is the only way to permanently bypass the security without paying out the A$$ to have the whole 9 yards tuned out of the ecm.